Peripherals forum

General discussion

Laser printer and static

by MMRudy / February 5, 2008 7:38 AM PST

I have an older laser printer, an HP Laser Jet 4000 (bought in 1999 or 2000?) It works well, except...it imparts quite a bit of static to the printed page. As a result, it has become impossible to duplex print more than one page at a time. Previously, it would duplex 50 pages at a go.

I do live in New Mexico, a dry climate, with about 23-25% humidity. However, this problem did not occur during the first six years of use.

Is there a cure other than bringing in a portable humidifier? (I've cleaned the machine.) I've never found humidifying a room useful.

I would like to purchase a new laser printer with a USB connection, but am reluctant to do so if static will be a continuing problem.
BTW, my ink jet printer does not have this problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laser printer and static
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laser printer and static
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is a discharge wire in the machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 8:02 AM PST
Collapse -
Suggestions
by Willy / February 5, 2008 10:43 AM PST

While the environment does contribute to the static condition, how the paper is stored and toner carts will affect the static build-up as well. Ironically, static is how the printer works for print. look at: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/laser-printer1.htm HP, provides helpful tips, etc. on the topic. You may want to look at these websites for knowledgeable users: http://www.fixyourownprinter.com & http://www.printerworks.com for help and parts.

The parts kit should include or you will need the "ion filter" replacement for a printer that old. Plus, make sure it well cleaned too. Its possible that toner refills and/or aftermarket toner cart can be prone to static, too. If you don't already be sure the printer is well grounded and if need be place the printer on a static mat to help reduce it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?