Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

larryweir.com - Please Review My Site

by LarryWeir / October 14, 2009 6:10 PM PDT

My friends are saying I should update my website larryweir.com, however I think it looks fine. I am thinking all I need to do is add some social features to larryweir.com and that would be enough. So I thought I would seek some advice. Should I go for a complete redesign of larryweir.com or should I just add some web 2.0 features to it? I appreciate the advice and suggestions.

I know everyone says to keep away from splash pages but I think a flash into focusing in on the following content would be beneficial. Any thoughts? I'm not really concerned about the Search Engine just want client's see.

Welcome to larryweir.com. This is the official site of Composer, Record Promoter, Producer, Writer & Publisher Larry Weir. Larry is behind Heartland Entertainment which comprises National Record Promotion, New Music Weekly, Production & Management and Film & Television Music.

Thanks in advance! - Larry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: larryweir.com - Please Review My Site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: larryweir.com - Please Review My Site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think the actual
by Sovereign Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 11:02 PM PDT

design is good, because it's simple, gets to the point, and there isn't too much going on where you don't even know where to start.

What I do suggest is the following:

#1 Repair the errors found here: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Flarryweir.com&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

#2 Break away from using TABLES to layout your Web site. Tables are for tabular data and should be avoided as a design element. Instead take a look at XHTML and CSS.

#3 Like you mentioned, integrate some links to social networks on which you have a profile. If you don't have a profile, register yourself on Facebook, Twitter, maybe even MySpace. Those are really the top 3. This will get you more exposure and credit that you are involved in using the "latest" technology. In addition, more pages with your name on it translates to higher rankings for your name in search engines.

About the splash should be used when it adds something fundamental. If you can do that, go for it, however also consider users you may be visiting you again. They don't want to see the splash every time they visit, especially if they watched the entire thing before. Even if you include a link that says "skip intro," it's one extra click they have to perform. Like I said earlier, simple, right to the point, clutter-free Web sites is the way to go.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Nice site..a few pointers
by axiongroup / October 17, 2009 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: I think the actual

I like the look and layout. I would shy away from a dedicated splash page. It might be worthwhile to make an area on the top of the site where you can place a banner style flash sequence. That would enhance the visual appeal. It could also be used to communicate your marketing message to visitors.

Depending on your aspirations for your website it might be worthwhile to integrate a content management system. This would allow you to easily add new content without the cost/time consumption of having to code very page by hand.

-Matt

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.