TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

large Plasma shopping

by jplegend / June 11, 2007 3:55 AM PDT

I have researched to the ends of the earth and it seems the more research I do the more indecisive I am. I want a plasma 60" or larger. I've been told Pioneer is king, with Panasonic a close second in this size range. Pioneer's 50" 1080p set is too small. They have a 60" 720p set. Panasonic has a 1080p 65" but the picture in the showroom didn't match any of the Pioneers. I'll be watching from 12-15' away. I am not a big moviephile....mostly regular TV and sports in HD. Do I really need a 1080p set...will I hate myself in two years if I get 720p? Is Pioneer coming out with a 1080p set at least 60", and if so, what would expect to pay for it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: large Plasma shopping
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: large Plasma shopping
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To get 1080p or not to get 108p, that is the question
by arizcale / June 11, 2007 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: large Plasma shopping

Currently there is no 1080p programming, so the only way to get this resolution is from HD DVD or Blu-Ray (or HD video games). But if you're buying for the future, you have to see that 1080p is coming. Resolutions are only going to get better and eventually I think you'll see more programming available - it just may be a while. Unless you plan on buying a new TV in a few years, you may consider the investment now.

Now, if you're considering it, you have to determine if you can even benefit from such a resolution. You're looking at large TVs, but how far are you sitting from it? If you look at my blog on TV sizing (http://ifuhavetoask.blogspot.com/2007/05/size-matters.html), you will see a chart that shows how a 60" TV needs to be viewed from 10' or closer to get a potential benefit from 1080p. Many folks have found this chart to be helpful in determining appropriate screen size and resolution. The blog explains the methodology behind this.

I hope that's helpful

Cale@HaveToAsk.com
http://HaveToAsk.com (blog on HDTV and more)

Collapse -
To get 1080p or not to get 108p, that is the question
by jplegend / June 11, 2007 5:35 AM PDT

thanks...your screen chart is very helpful. As I'll be sitting 12-15' away, sounds like 720p is enough. We've got a nice budget on this, but I don't want to buy just to say "I have 1080p" if there's really no added value given the viewing distance!

Collapse -
60" Pioneer is awesome but...
by kcfvegas / June 11, 2007 4:59 AM PDT

If you are going for 60" or larger, 1080P will be worth getting. You will see a difference on that large of a screen. Pioneer has a 1080P 60" plasma that they are coming out with that will be AWESOME but....
for around six thousand dollars less you can get an excellent DLP or LCD rear projection in 1080P and have a fantastic picture also. The only question is how much do you have to spend.

Collapse -
Nextgen Pioneer's...
by givemeaname / June 11, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
I disagree - mostly
by Guy Owen / September 22, 2007 11:09 PM PDT

The key statement in your question seems to be: "I'll be watching from 12-15' away. I am not a big moviephile....mostly regular TV and sports in HD."

I agree that most Reviews say the 1080p is useful on so large a set, but from that distance I think you'll be just as happy with 1080i or even -- God forbid! -- 720p. Especially if you'll not be stretching into the HD arena very much. "Not a big moviephile" tells me you don't have plans to rush out and buy Blu-Ray or HDDVD, so you lose the advantage of 1080p there. "Most likely regular TV" tells me you are possibly not even subscribed to any HD plans except for your sports channel. You lose a big advantage with 1080p there.

If it comes down to money, skip the 1080p. And beware that the hook-up in the store may be biased toward making the more-expensive set look better -- or simply a fluke. Note, too, that many reviews state that the 1080p set they are reviewing makes 420i or 420p images look WORSE (i.e., "regular" TV).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?