PC Hardware forum

General discussion


Hi, I have an Infocus Model SP61md10 (61" HDTV).
I'd like to connect a computer to it and use it as a monitor. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Would I need a transcoder box going from VGA to HiDef or less?

Or able to take a Computer RGBHV signal and convert it into a NTSC standardized signal?

Is there someone skilled enough to help me on this?

Perhaps there is a company that sells a converter or something that will do the trick.

Thanks for your help...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LARGE HDTV as computer MONITOR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LARGE HDTV as computer MONITOR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Large HDTV as computer MONITOR?

In reply to: LARGE HDTV as computer MONITOR

I believe that the infocus 61" DLP has a VGA input. So all you would need is a VGA cable to go from your pc to your HDTV.

Collapse -
Talk to the experts

In reply to: Large HDTV as computer MONITOR?

I recently had the same need and, even though I'm a power user, it's tricky - in part because NTSC TVs only want to display your VGA signal at 640x480 resolution. Therefore, you need a converter box for an HDTV set. After browsing the web, I stumbled upon Ramelectronics.net (888-726-2440). They carry everything you need (some of which they make themselves), their prices are good, and they ship promptly. I would also suggest you talk to their technical guru, Tom Bush, who's extremely knowledgable.

Collapse -
New graphics card

In reply to: LARGE HDTV as computer MONITOR

How about a graphics card with HDTV out or DVI port, if your HDTV has a DVI port in the back.

What ports are on the TV?

Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.