Laptops forum

General discussion

laptops and tracking devices

by the_seeker / August 22, 2006 2:14 PM PDT

Hi everyone I do not know much on this topic so sorry in advance my lack of knowledge.

I wanted to know is there any way you can put some sort of tracking device on your laptop (to protect it in case of theft)? Does this require a GPS system? Can you make it on your own?

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptops and tracking devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptops and tracking devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lo-Jack
by linkit / August 22, 2006 3:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re; lojack
by jeanne--2008 / August 24, 2006 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Lo-Jack

My daughter is off to college in a week. The college she will be attending advised the students to obtain lojack and have it installed before starting out. They will even assist the kids in downloading it.
So, my guess is that it is worth it's weight in gold!

Collapse -
so it's all in the software?
by ackmondual / August 25, 2006 3:49 AM PDT

I'm curious, if a thief never uses the internet on that laptop, or reformats it before going online, then the laptop would be very difficult to recover at that point?

Collapse -
The better lojack survives formatting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

Go figure.

As to never going online, can you imagine doing that? What is today's use of a PC that doesn't (for home, most users that is.)

bob

Collapse -
yeah, they are few in #
by ackmondual / August 25, 2006 9:32 AM PDT

Some ppl still have old PCs offline to do software testing, local networking, or specific IT experiments, but else, most ppl would go online. Otherwise, they'd only use that PC sparingly

Collapse -
Should we discuss the thieve's i q ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 9:43 AM PDT

Frankly they will likely just sell it and the next owner will be none the wiser about it.

Bob

Collapse -
not to mention the information ON your laptop
by nanarita / August 25, 2006 5:50 AM PDT

I just had a laptop stolen, and the worry for me was all the email information I had stored. Receipts, account information, other email addresses, you name it. There is an email anti-theft software called Taceo, that protects email exchange, but it also prevents anyone outside of the assigned recipient from opening email (even if it's stored). If your laptop gets stolen, you can remotely deny access to any protected fiels or email on your computer, whether it's connected to the internet or not.

Laptops can be replaced. It's the info on your laptop that can cause a real headache.
http://www.essentialsecurity.com/howitworks_laptop.htm

Collapse -
certain PPCs do that too
by ackmondual / August 25, 2006 9:34 AM PDT

A neat IT security feature.... some1 loses their PPC, they can report it to IT management and they can remotely wipe the data on it. PPCs sync with at least one desktop, so similar to what u mentioned, just get a new handheld, and restore all that data and you're set

Collapse -
PC phone home
by DSH84 / August 25, 2006 9:18 AM PDT

I use the PCphonehome along with a gmail address for it. It is a one time charge for the software installation for your laptop or you can get the unlimted number of computers package for all your computers. As soon as the laptop is connected to the internet it sends a message to the company and you and the company notifities the closest police and they go it and the person that has it.

Collapse -
Lo-Jack and Dell
by Shaun Egan / August 25, 2006 2:16 AM PDT

Lo-Jack (f.k.a. CompuTrace) is a great product and it works even better when paired with a Dell laptop. If you have a Dell, then using Lo-Jack nets you an extra benefit.

Dell not only installs the software on your hard drive (where it can be erased) but also on the embedded firmware available on newer Dell laptops. Formatting the hard drive won't stop the thieves.

Collapse -
Lo-jack
by Lax3 / August 25, 2006 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Lo-Jack and Dell

I just purchased my Dell E1505 laptop a couple weeks ago. Is this lo-jack program already installed on my computer, or did I have to pay extra for that option?

If not in my laptop already, how much would this Dell Lo-jack program cost me if I were to buy it now and install it myself?

Collapse -
I doubt it
by ackmondual / August 25, 2006 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Lo-jack

Dell does include some softawre freebies with their system. Dell Media Center.... but that's the only thing I can think of. Everything else is a part of WinXP one way or another. Seeing how LoJack is some kind of retail security utility, it seems you'll have to purchase it unless it's freeware.

Another thing... try going through your invoice for this laptop. They should itemize all your costs, including stuff like +$40 for a one yr subscription to McAfee.

Collapse -
posted too soon...
by ackmondual / August 25, 2006 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: I doubt it

Lo-Jack is $49, going by the link posted above. Again, check your invoice. It may have been included for free as part of a promo and u may have not noticed it. Or check Start menu --> Programs to see if it's listed there

Collapse -
Lo-jack
by Lax3 / August 25, 2006 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: posted too soon...

I don't think it's listed in my invoice, at least I don't see it. Any idea what it would be listed as, or called??

Would it be on the invoice (and ->Start Menu then Programs) and be listed as "Lo-Jack" or some other fancy program name?

Thanks for you advice, I'm just bored and curious as to whether I have it.

Collapse -
invoice from your purchase
by ackmondual / August 25, 2006 9:29 AM PDT

when u buy stuff online or by phone, they send you an email and/or a hardcopy itemizing all your purchases, upgrades, and services you ordered.

I bought a PC from Dell few years back and it listed the specs of my PC, what it came with, and any extra software or services (like warranties or Office) it came with

Collapse -
Smart Investment
by 2manyMSissues / September 4, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

My daughter recently bought the same laptop as yours from Dell. She paid for the loJack subscription when she ordered the computer.. the software arrived seperately and I installed it for her.. very simple to do.. and very inexpensive, I believe a 3 year subscription cost her around $60..money very well spent in my opinion.

Check their website: www.lojackforlaptops.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.