Computer Help forum

General discussion

Laptop won't shut down and displays unwanted windows while n

by sabre000001 / July 6, 2010 9:55 AM PDT

I posted the beginning of this conversation in the wrong section here http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?messageID=3334662#3334662

I mean that then I click on 'start', 'turn off computer' in the task bar the laptop start the processing of turning off but then freeze on the blue windows displaying 'Windows is closing...' indefinitely

the windows letting me the choice of activate sleeping mode the restart or the turning off pop up and when I choose to turn off the same problem occurs.

I booted in safe more pressing F10 on the booting and it still won't shut down

I actually don't have an antivirus on my laptop but I have just the Windows' firewall

Thanks for the links but I can't use it as I don't have CDs reader

By the way I think I have a virus on the internet explorer as I always use FireFox and the Internet explorer keep popping up windows displaying advertisments.
I checked add programs/ remove programs in the setting section but I have not found a way to uninstall Internet Explorer
Do you know how I could do it ?

Thanks

Simon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop won't shut down and displays unwanted windows while n
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop won't shut down and displays unwanted windows while n
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps the make & model
by lacsr / July 6, 2010 9:26 PM PDT

would help. If there is no CD, might this be a netbook instead of a laptop?

Collapse -
Netbook won't shut down
by sabre000001 / July 6, 2010 10:52 PM PDT

Yes it's a netbook

Collapse -
First, you cannot . . .
by Coryphaeus / July 6, 2010 10:46 PM PDT

uninstall Internet Explorer, it's embedded into Windows.

F10 will not take you to Safe Mode. F8?

When did this start happening? If you have an approximate date, have you tried System Restore?

Not running an AV program is just asking for trouble as you can be infected in less than five seconds by visiting a malicious site. As you have now found out.

Download an install MalwareBytes and Super Antispyware (Google them and they're both free) and run them both. Run them both in regular mode and safe mode.

Here are some troubleshooting steps for shutdown problems.

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

Collapse -
netbook won't shut down
by sabre000001 / July 7, 2010 5:24 AM PDT

Yes indeed I was wrong about the safe monde. Thanks for telling me it was F8 and not F10.

I would avoid the System Restore as I would avoid to loose my data.

I downloaded these two softwares and scanned my computer in both safe mode and normal mode, a lot of trojans and adwares have been removed, and I don't have advertisement windows' popping up anymore, thank you very much for that.

But my laptop won't shut down, still ... =[

Collapse -
System Restore . . .
by Coryphaeus / July 7, 2010 6:15 AM PDT

Will not damage any data. Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. This is not the same as a System Recovery where you run the Recovery CDs that came with the computer. System Restore only resets the system. Excellent for cleaning up the PC. If you know when this problem started you can run System Restore on a date before and it may resolve the shut down issues.

Did you look at the page I included? Lots of options for repairing shut down problems.

Collapse -
Workaround. NOT A FIX
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2010 9:20 AM PDT

For now you can consider setting the power button to not shut down but to HIBERNATE. This is way to power down when shut down has failed.

Sorry you didn't know about System Restore is all about the OS and not your files. Also it appears you revealed you don't backup your stuff. I know you've heard it's important but today I find most only learn this first hand. Here's me repeating it's time to backup what you can't lose.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.