Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Laptop won't connect to wireless signal

Hello all who are knowledgeable in the ways of computer stuff!!
I am unable to connect to a wireless signal that my co-workers are all able to connect to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here are my particulars: Lenovo T61 Windows Vista Business
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.5 GHz
2GB Ram
Sierra Wireless Modem Device
Think Pad Modem
Intel 8266MM Gig Network Connection
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965 AGN
Sierra Wireless 1xEV-DO Network Adaptor
My laptop does have a network switch on the front of it and it is in the correct position, the router I've been trying to connect to is not broadcasting and requires a password for access (password is verified), I can connect by plugging a cable into the router, my laptop has been connected wireless to this network before and the profile is still listed on the list of networks connected to.

That's about all I can think of for info. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop won't connect to wireless signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop won't connect to wireless signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the router I've been trying to connect to is not broadcastin

In reply to: Laptop won't connect to wireless signal

"the router I've been trying to connect to is not broadcasting"

There are some drivers that fail when the SSID is not broadcast. We note this in our forum sticky and also that it no longer helps security.

Hint.
Bob

Collapse -
Been connected before

In reply to: the router I've been trying to connect to is not broadcastin

This is the same network I've been connected to before, but just unsure as to why it won't connect now. I'll look for the sticky.

Collapse -
Updates.

In reply to: Been connected before

Collapse -
No Zone Alarm

In reply to: Updates.

Is the last Microsoft one; router or other device does not support the DHCPbroadcast flag?? If so would it make sense that I have connected to it in the past. I don't use a zone alarm and my laptop runs on Vista.

Collapse -
Those updates

In reply to: No Zone Alarm

Could be it. Sadly the no broadcast issue has bit far too many. Your choice here to maintain it should work but I send out Henry daily to turn them on and collect 120 bucks for doing so to fix such issues.

You can test this in a few minutes so we'll know if it's the usual SSID or WEP exploit/issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Let me be blunt.

In reply to: Laptop won't connect to wireless signal

SSID broadcasting is not a security issue today as the SSID can now be sniffed from the other packets. It will also cause dropouts and no connects in some systems.

WEP encryption is horribly broken and also can lead to no connect issues. I must not duplicate the long reason why this is and the kiddie tools they use to inflict this on the owners.

Please setup per our Networking Forum to save everyone time chasing down these repeating issues. If not, let's just have the service people show up and let them fix it for you.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.