General discussion

Laptop won't boot. Continously restarts itself.

Hey everyone,

So I turned on my Asus F3T laptop which runs Windows Vista today. It began to boot, showed the Asus logo with black background, and then restarted itself. It has been doing this over and over all day. Hitting F8 will not bring me to a menu where I can choose to start in safe mode. I don't think it boots far enough to let me do that. I have been able to pull up some menus with F2 and F9 but I have been tentative to fiddle with the settings too much. I have a strong feeling this was caused a windows update. It was either yesterday or the day before.. about 15 updates installed and seemed to have difficultly being installed. I have no idea what to do and don't want to lose data on my hard drive. My computer did not come with an installation disc, just a recovery disc that would clear out my hard drive if I used it. Please help!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Laptop won't boot. Continously restarts itself.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop won't boot. Continously restarts itself.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try the usual.

Put a new hard disk in the unit then restore the system. Put the old drive you didn't backup into a nice USB external case and copy your files out.

- Collapse -
Did you get it working again?

Did you solve the problem - I've just had the same problem with my daughters laptop? I was hoping you'd found a way to get the laptop working again.

Thanks

- Collapse -
Yes.

I used the method I outlined about 20 times this year. It's very cheap compared to data recovery houses.

Bob

CNET Forums