General discussion

Laptop won't boot

I have an Acer laptop (AMD athlon dual core, 1MB ram, vista) that won't boot. I've had this problem for about a week now, and it's driving me crazy. I've pulled out the battery, held down the start button, then tried plugging it in and restarting...no luck. I AM using mcafee, but I thought that was XP computers only....When I try to start it, it powers up for about 3 seconds, then shuts down. No BIOS access, no safe mode, nothing.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Laptop won't boot
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Is it under warranty?

Is it under warranty? If so, make it Acer's problem. If not, start looking for a new laptop, because all the possibilities for fixing this are going to be a significant portion of a new laptop.

FWIW, I would recommend against Acer (and it's other brands Gateway and eMachines) as well as HP (and it's other brand Compaq). They seem to have a disproportionately high number of hardware related problems. Just my opinion based on years of observations. Take it for whatever you will.

- Collapse -
Is it under warranty reply

No, it's not under warranty...I just wonder if it is the mcafee antivirus (this problem just started 5 days ago)....

- Collapse -
No

No, it has nothing to do with the McAfee thing. If it were the McAfee thing, you would consistently get Windows to start loading, and then it would just fail. You are suffering failures long before Windows even begins loading, hence it's a hardware issue, most likely the motherboard. And since it's out of warranty the repairs aren't going to be cost effective unless you have some kind of sentimental attachment to this particular laptop.

CNET Forums

Forum Info