Laptops forum

General discussion

laptop with large screen and good keyboard

by wynton100 / August 14, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

I am looking for a laptop, under $3,000, and I have two simple priorities: I want the best available keyboard and a large screen, capable of 1920 x 1200 resolution.

I do not care about the weight.

Can someone point me in the general direction? Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop with large screen and good keyboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop with large screen and good keyboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How large? 15" or 17"?
by Nooorm / August 14, 2006 4:16 AM PDT

Thinkpads are generally considered to have the best keyboards of any laptop...but the biggest screen on one would be the 15.4" Widescreen Z61p: 15.4 inch WUXGA (1920x1200)

Collapse -
Repeating mistakes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 4:27 AM PDT

Many 1920 x 1200 laptops are returned to Dell after the owner discovers (again and again) why that's not a good idea.

Get a first hand look at such BEFORE you commit.

Bob

Collapse -
repeating mistakes
by wynton100 / August 14, 2006 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Repeating mistakes?

Are you saying that it's a mistake to get Dell laptops with that resolution, or any laptops with that resolution capability?

Either way, why is it not a good idea?

Collapse -
Do some math, find such and consider the complaints.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: repeating mistakes

Calculate the DPI of the screen. What many find is that past 100 DPI the text is far too small and while some pundit will tell you of stellar resolution they won't tell you about having 20/10 vision to see the pixel or the pains of getting the text sizes big enough.

But your choice here. Many need to go through this before they believe it.

Bob

Collapse -
Do you value your eyesight?
by samkh / August 15, 2006 2:10 AM PDT

Too bad it not easy to find a 1920x1200 resolution in stores that you can test. Bob is right about learning the painful way.

What all manufacturers don't disclose, and it really should be labeled as an ergonomic hazard, is that when you strain to read, your eye muscles will suffer and prolonged exposure will lead to deteriorating eyesight. But the more immediate issue is discomfort with the strain.

High resolutions look great when you walk by by the rows of notebooks or LCD monitors in stores. And they are usually displaying pictures or videos! Have you ever seen these computers displaying black text on a white background? The competition is not about how well text can be read but it is based on how fabulous your pictures, videos and movies will look. And don't think that you can set the LCD to lower resolution when you need it. LCDs have a native resolution and they mostly are blurry and color distorted when set to non-native. High end LCD monitors ($500+) do better outside of native resolution than lower end models but I have never seen a notebook display with such capabilities.

If you think you will ever use your notebook to read text, check the visual quality of that display in addition to it's resolution size before you buy (or buy and return, oftentimes with restocking fees).

Collapse -
resizing
by wynton100 / August 15, 2006 4:02 AM PDT

I was about to ask why I shouldn't get a laptop capable of 1900x1200 res, and simply resize whenever I intend to read text. But then I read your comment that this cannot necessarily be done.

This is extremely important to me. I was assuming I could use the 1900x res whenever I would be playing poker or something similar, but switch to something like 1024 x768 when using word processing (which is what I am used to now). Is it really true that switching between resolutions is not possible?

Collapse -
This road is littered with ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2006 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: resizing

That's been discussed before. The owner gets one and the next post is a complaint about how bad the resizing fonts and more looks.

Get your return policy stated up front.

Bob

Collapse -
It can be done, but
by samkh / August 15, 2006 12:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
It is possible but...
by ar69 / August 15, 2006 2:02 PM PDT

As he said when it is not at native resolution it is blurry.

Collapse -
repeating mistakes
by ar69 / August 15, 2006 2:00 PM PDT

Higher resolution, while it does make games look more stunning, on a mere 17 inches makes your desktop, icons,text, and just about everything tiny. Tiny text may make you have to squint. Everything is PAINFULLY tiny at 1920 by 1200

Collapse -
Gateway NX860X Good choice
by tuxxer / August 15, 2006 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Repeating mistakes?

I have a Gateway NX860X and this is very good laptop. I have had one a few months and it is very powerful and quick. It has 17" widescreen. The resolution is a bit below what you are looking for. I opted for the extended battery and battery life is over 4 hours.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 17" MacBook Pro. But it's expensive.
by udayan71 / August 15, 2006 7:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
2nd the 17" MBP
by mobiguru / October 6, 2006 1:48 AM PDT

The 17" MacBook Pro is not that expensive when you spec out other brand to match the MBP.

Plus it runs both OS X & XP (or Vista)!!!

Collapse -
Alienware aurara m9700 or dell e1705
by ar69 / August 15, 2006 1:56 PM PDT

alienware is extremely sturdily built and packs better features, while dell can be had for much cheaper with the same hardware config(almost, the dell has a core duo processor while the alienware has a turion). If you go to notebookreview.com they must advertise for dell or something because they have codes that give you a 20% discount on dell laptops. The turion, while the best gaming processor except for the mobile core 2 duo which is due out in september, cannot fully use a dual 7900gs setup on the alienware.If you do get the alienware, buy only one gs, get almost exactly the same performance, and save 500 bucks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.