Laptops forum

Laptop with HDMI Input?

by jiakai_ln / May 8, 2012 12:32 PM PDT

Im trying to find a laptop with hdmi input besides alienware, so far have no luck finding out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop with HDMI Input?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop with HDMI Input?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
There were 2 over the past decade.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2012 3:17 PM PDT

But with BLACK MAGIC HDMI CAPTURE devices can I ask why you want to push the laptop price into the 5 digits?

Collapse -
not what im looking for
by jiakai_ln / May 8, 2012 3:25 PM PDT

is there laptop out there with hdmi input
not really looking for a software or expresscard

Collapse -
There was.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2012 1:02 AM PDT

But it came and went so if you can't find it all I can offer is that it was not cheap and didn't do what some thought it did. That's why I suggested you look at BLACK MAGIC capture things.

But even then some folk want the laptop to be a display which even BLACK MAGIC will not suffice.

Collapse -
Newegg has
by orlbuckeye / May 10, 2012 2:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Can you narrow this down to those with HDMI inputs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2012 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Newegg has
Collapse -
Thats what I did.
by orlbuckeye / May 10, 2012 11:00 PM PDT

I did a filter on ALL laptops with HDMI ports.

Collapse -
I looked and found none with INPUT HDMI ports.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2012 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Thats what I did.

And there was no filter for that. I looked at just the first 100.

Collapse -
If you go to advanced tab
by orlbuckeye / May 12, 2012 3:21 AM PDT

It allows you to filter for for many things like processors and many other things and when i selected HDMI a dropdown list appeared and said ANY and the second option said 1 x HDMI which is the filter I with the link next to the HDMI it said 365. Meaning 365 hits. When u look at the detail of ever laptop there is lists HDMI.
Thank You

Collapse -
And not one in the first 100 had HDMI input.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2012 4:50 AM PDT

Maybe those last few machines are no more?

Collapse -
HDMI INPUT, not output
by neededandwanted / May 25, 2012 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Thats what I did.

He is looking for an HDMI INPUT, not an output. (As am I) They seem to be few and far between.
An input will take an outside signel and accept it into the computer, like to record it or display it on the screen. An output lets you send a file from the computer to another device (which has an input) like a television.

MOST new laptop and even tablets have an HDMI output. Very few laptops have an HDMI input (and zero tablets so far, apparently).

Collapse -
Yes i understanf that now.
by orlbuckeye / May 25, 2012 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI INPUT, not output

I don't see a big market for HDMI input since DVR's are so popular and the original device is probably a better out device then a computer. They do have read/write DVD' players and Bluray what will work with video. There is a market for HDMI output because the device you send the signal to is better device to display the output. Actually HDMI send a signal and not a file. It sends a video ad audio signal

Collapse -
I can explain the market.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2012 1:58 AM PDT

After a few (too many?) requests it's for the college student that has some Xbox or PS3 that wants the laptop to do double duty as a HDTV display.

Collapse -
definitely not a huge market now, but
by neededandwanted / May 29, 2012 12:38 AM PDT

whoever offers this will get all of it.

Many pads/tablets and laptops have excellent displays. Most portable televisions and monitors claim to "support" HD, but merely rescale the image and display it on a 800 x 480 pixel screen (read where it says "native resolution").

Lots of video capture cards used to be available for desktop computers, so it's a bit surprising that very few portable computers can take a decent Video IN.

Recording video for later playback is one application. A soon-to-be-big application is to use the tablet as a live monitor for the millions of portable video cameras. The cameras record in full HD at 1920x1080 but only have tiny crappy monitors to use for viewing while shooting and for fast playback.

Certainly more applications will follow once inputs become available. But indeed, there is not a market for EVERY laptop and tablet to have the extra cost of an HDMI input, but it would sure be nice to have a few of them available.

Collapse -
Well right now is a bad time for
by orlbuckeye / May 29, 2012 5:16 AM PDT

innovation in laptop technology since HP announced the are laying off 27,000 and Dell financial numbers don't look good. The one thing about the industry is I see new players in the USA the past couple of years in Asus, MSI and Samsung. Samsung used to have a non-competitive agreement with Dell to stay out of USA but that has expired. I look for LG to become a bigger player when their competitive agreement with Lenova runs out. I can see these newer companies being more innovative with their option in the few years. Especially Samsung since they are also into the phone and tablet markets allready. I have a feeling Windows 8 will be a success because of the power of integration of devices into the business. If the need for HDMI input can be translated into financial profit it will be done.

Collapse -
Here is one
by orlbuckeye / June 12, 2012 8:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
Another link that calls this out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2012 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Here is one
Collapse -
Indeed HDMI 1.3 Input
by hdmiin / September 17, 2013 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Here is one
Collapse -
And starting at 2099 US bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2013 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Indeed HDMI 1.3 Input

This thread is more than 496 days old.

Collapse -
(NT) i don't know what to do
by abdulahirules / August 8, 2015 3:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
The topic is now years old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2015 1:12 PM PDT

And the few HDMI input laptops are now history. Why not a Black Magic solution?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?