Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop with 256 video memory

by tms99 / July 14, 2005 9:45 AM PDT

Who makes laptops with at least 256 video memory AND Pentium M at reasonable prices, other than Dell? I checked out Gateway, but they are quite pricey.

THanks,
T

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / July 14, 2005 10:45 AM PDT

256MB memory on a gfx card is useless... Integrated Intel GMA900 which sucks uses up to 224MB of system ram. If you can afford, look at alienware, sager, prostar, oh and HP

Collapse -
RE:
by tms99 / July 14, 2005 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

HP uses P4 on the zd8000. I've heard it's on it's way out and gets hot really fast. So a 256 MB video memory is useless on a Pentium M computer with 1 GB of memory. etc....?? I was looking at the NVidia 6800 or so.....I wouldn't use integrated graphics.

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / July 14, 2005 1:10 PM PDT

256MB isn't useful. But the core on the 6800go is pretty good. Also, not much choices out there if you're looking for a notebook with a non-integrated gfx card. If you want a gaming notebook, your best choice would be a dell 9300 if you're only looking at name brands. The P4 would be a good choice because its direct contender would be an athlon 64, which no manufactuere currently offers with a separate gfx card. SO only choice would be a pentium M or turion (once again turion doesn't have any separate gfx cards notebookss). But be aware 64-bit is here, so you might want to wait for a 64-bit Pentium M. If you don't care for 64-bit, then right now, best perforumance coupled with gfx card would be with a Pentium M.
Roger

Collapse -
RE:
by tms99 / July 15, 2005 8:10 AM PDT

Ok.....thanks for all the replies.....I've been looking at the 9300 for a while.....trying to watch the outlet, but I think with one of those $750 off coupons, it would be just as cheap to buy a new one...

T.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!