Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop will not connect to Internet via Ethernet

by user60114098 / December 9, 2008 11:32 PM PST

I've got a used laptop, which connects wirelessly to the Internet when I'm on the road but when I hook it up to my DSL modem at home (no wifi) via Ethernet cable it will not connect. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop will not connect to Internet via Ethernet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop will not connect to Internet via Ethernet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / December 9, 2008 11:53 PM PST

- Defective hardware.
- Not the right driver installed.

Did it ever work? What changed since than?
What does Device Manager tell about the component?

Collapse -
Re: Ideas
by user60114098 / December 10, 2008 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Ideas.

"Did it ever work? What changed since than?"
Since I've had it, it's never been able to connect to the Internet at home thru my DSL Ethernet connection.

"What does Device Manager tell about the component?"
Which component?

Collapse -
Re: your answers
by Kees Bakker / December 10, 2008 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Ideas

From your saying "a used laptop" I gather it is second-hand. Can you contact the previous owner to see if he can tell more on the history of the machine?
It's possible, for example, he sold the machine because the Ethernet didn't work and he couldn't solve it.

The 'component' is the Ethernet controller, that (for a laptop) most likely isn't a separate card. Device Manager might show that the correct driver isn't installed. Then download that from the makers site or find it on the driver CD that you might have.

The obvious work-around is to buy a wireless router for use at home. That's a no-problem $60 solution, as shown on

Collapse -
Re: Re: your answers
by user60114098 / December 10, 2008 9:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re: your answers

Not possible to contact the previous owner.

In Device Manager I could not locate "Ethernet controller" but in "Network Adapters" I did find "Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet", which it says is working properly.

Also, "Network Adapters" was expanded showing 3 items with yellow exclamation marks "WAN Miniport (IP)", "WAN Miniport (PPPOE)" & "WAN Miniport (PPTP)". Under "Properties" for all 3 it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory (code 38)"

Collapse -
Re: errors
by Kees Bakker / December 10, 2008 4:19 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Re: your answers

So Ethernet adapter is working right, but the WAN miniport drivers (whatever those may be) aren't.

You might like to read through:"Windows+cannot+load+the+device+driver+for+this+hardware+because+a+previous+instance+of+the+device+driver+is+still+in+memory+(code+38)"

In it is recommended to reboot (which probably doesn't solve the problem) or to run the Troubleshooting Wizard (which might help).

But I'm afraid you won't be able to solve this without the right drivers for this specific laptop. Download them from the makers site (you didn't tell anything about it) if you don't have them on CD. Then delete these 3 devices from Device Manager, reboot and reinstall these drivers. Success isn't guaranteed, however, even if you have the right drivers.
Returning the laptop to factory conditions by using the System Recovery CD's you have (if you have them) might be the best solution.

So, all in all, I think that buying a wireless router is by far the most easy solution.

The only way to solve this would be to

Collapse -
Re: Microsoft recommends
by user60114098 / December 12, 2008 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: Re: errors

Reboot (did not help)
Troubleshooting Wizard (tells me to uninstall and reinstall the device manually, which I am not real comfortable doing and don't know where to get the device or what device to reinstall)

BTW...The laptop is an MPC Transport T2300

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2008 11:54 PM PST

Some DSL modems require you to install PPPoE software. I can't tell if yours needs this or not since make and model of the DSL modem was omitted.

STOP! Do not fix this without the full details.

Collapse -
by user60114098 / December 10, 2008 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: STOP!

Make: Efficient Networks

Collapse -
Good. Now is it in bridge mode?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2008 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Re: STOP!
Collapse -
Re: Good. Now is it in bridge mode?
by user60114098 / December 10, 2008 9:59 AM PST

How do I tell if it's in bridge mode?
If it is in bridge mode, where do I get the PPPoE software?

Collapse -
That's why I supplied the link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2008 10:02 AM PST

To tell if it's in bridge we have to use the manual and follow it's instructions. Your posts don't have the detail for me to guess the answer. But I'd prefer not to use bridge mode.

Collapse -
Re: That's why I supplied the link.
by user60114098 / December 10, 2008 10:33 AM PST

So, what do you recommend?

Collapse -
I read your posts again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2008 11:01 AM PST

I can't tell how you use you dsl currently.

For example, if I want to move the ethernet from one machine to the next I would turn off that modem, move the cable and turn the modem back on. Sorry but I can't tell from your posts such detail as to bridge or not.

Collapse -
Re: I re-checked the link you gave me
by user60114098 / December 12, 2008 12:10 AM PST

It shows how to configure bridge mode but still could not figure out how to tell if it's in bridge mode currently or where to get the PPPoE software, if needed?

What info do you need to tell if it's in bridge mode & how I use you dsl currently?

Collapse -
The PPPoE software is from your ISP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2008 12:46 AM PST

As to bridge mode that is what you'll have to tell me. I supplied a link about your modem so you could explore its settings. I know some think it should be easier.

Collapse -
by Jean Narvaez / September 29, 2015 2:32 PM PDT

make sure the DNS server is getting address automatically is checked on TCP/IP4 properties under local area connection properties.

Collapse -
Typically when you connect
by orlbuckeye / October 1, 2015 12:37 PM PDT

an ethernet cable a green light will shine showing there is a connection.

So you DSL modem has a router built in ?
Now it could be the modem isn't functioning properly or the Ethernet card is bad.
It could also be the cable. Cables are cheap so you could test it first. You could test the card if you go somewhere that you know the modem or router work you could eliminate the card.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?