Computer Help forum

laptop want fire up

by cyprussid / July 25, 2014 6:13 PM PDT

Hi Guys
here's the problem my pc wont go into sleep or hibernate mode so i have to shut down at the end of the day but it wont start up the next morning without my having to unplug then hold down power button for about a minute and replug power while still holding power button in this works but what is causing the problem.
would love your input thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop want fire up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop want fire up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2014 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop want fire up

All Answers

Collapse -
Not much to go on
by Steven Haninger / July 25, 2014 7:12 PM PDT

You might consider coming back with more details such as the make/model and age of the laptop, the OS, your maintenance plan, etc. I have seen this behavior on a lot of old netbooks and it seems to be related to the battery.

Collapse -
RE Not much to go on
by cyprussid / July 26, 2014 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Not much to go on

it's vaio vgn ar series running vista about four maybe five years old problem started about a week ago. used at home only so run on external power supply. Ive tried system restore with no luck just wondering why holding the power button down for a minute or so and reconnecting power whilst still held down fixes the problem and she starts up

Collapse -
What is the battery age?
by Willy / July 26, 2014 8:31 PM PDT
In reply to: RE Not much to go on

You state Vista OS, that suggests an older laptop. If you never replaced the battery or the battery is at 18mos. old or older then that too provides for a headache. Not only the wear&tear of a older laptop but also continued use may not be helped by your fix. It looks power related, which is why i fallback on "battery issue" and a replacement battery from a reputable vendor isn't going to cost much and worth the effort to replace. Sony support may provide a clue if you check the FAQ side of answers or query them. Further, check Sony for clearing "error" status type conditions, you may find pressing the power button as part of options.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
All I can tell you is what I've seen on 30 Lenovo
by Steven Haninger / July 26, 2014 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: RE Not much to go on

netbooks in a school's laptop charging and storage cart. These have XP Pro installed and have been used in a classroom environment for about 5 years now. The batteries have never been replaced. Over the last couple of years we are seeing more and more that one device refuses to power on. I need to remove the battery, press the power button for about 1/2 minute and then reinstall the battery. More often than not, the device will now power on. I've no reason to think the students have misused these anymore than in the beginning so I'm thinking it's battery related. When this happens, even plugging them into an AC outlet doesn't start them until I perform the above procedure. I don't know why but this works. We're not going to buy 30 batteries for the old netbooks either so I can't prove my theory.

Collapse -
If they're all the same
by Jimmy Greystone / July 27, 2014 1:52 AM PDT

If they're all the same make and model, try swapping the battery from one unit into the problem unit. If the problem follows the battery no matter what unit you put it into, you've got a compelling bit of evidence to justify replacing the battery. If not, that unit, much like the OP's, is in the age range where capacitors will start failing and can cause exactly these kinds of symptoms. With laptops it's always a bit trickier to diagnose without visible signs of swelling or leaking, because the battery will always help keep them partially energized and unless you're real careful about making sure to drain the capacitors before testing with only AC power, you can send yourself down a blind alley.

Collapse -
Thanks but I'm not the one looking for help
by Steven Haninger / July 27, 2014 5:11 AM PDT

If you think your idea is worthwhile for the person who is looking for help, you might consider posting your comments under their request. As for your reply to what I've seen, I could see your point if the failure always showed in the same couple of devices but that's not the case. These tend to be brought to me one at a time so swapping with another netbook isn't an option. I can't go into all the things I've done when this happens and how I found how get a dead unit working again. I know for certain the batteries aren't holding a charge for long even when not in use but, at 5 years of age, I'm not going to suggest spending $60 each for 30 batteries.

Collapse -
Did you reload the OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2014 2:08 AM PDT

Given the details so far I wonder if the old reload the OS will clear this up.

Collapse -
thanks guys
by cyprussid / July 27, 2014 4:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you reload the OS?

Thanks for your answers guys the damn thing's decided not to start at all this morning even when holding the power button don't know whether to buy a new battery or bite the bullet and go for a new laptop

Collapse -
I missed where the battery was old/dead/suspect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2014 5:06 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks guys

Try the old remove the battery, reset noted in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum. Since it's there I'll keep it short.

Remove power, battery, press and hold the power button for 60 Seconds, release, apply power (do not put old/bad/suspect batteries into laptops.) and try again.

Collapse -
no luck
by cyprussid / July 27, 2014 7:35 PM PDT

Hi tried that but no luck I am getting lower lights and usb charges phone but no drives start up and every thing else is dead

Collapse -
LEDs and USB power means it's trying
by Steven Haninger / July 27, 2014 7:48 PM PDT
In reply to: no luck

You'll know the usual sounds it makes like the fan and such. The HDs on these are difficult to hear but if it sounds normal, I'd wonder if it's your display panel. At that age, however, it's not going to be an economical fix. Sorry 'bout that but it's not the worst thing to just get something else that works.

Collapse -
no fans
by cyprussid / July 27, 2014 10:41 PM PDT

No fans working and no hard drive sounds only LEDs and power at USB I'm wondering if power supply is failing and giving low voltage, opened up the PC and disconnected power supply internally could get a reading of 19v momentarily but then dropped off connected 9v battery to external socket and reading inside was 9v constant so leaning towards partial power supply failure

Collapse -
Power supplies can fool you
by Steven Haninger / July 27, 2014 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: no fans

These require that they sense a load within a specific range. It's not possible to get accurate measurements without a proper load value. While I've not seen this, I'd guess it's possible for both the battery and PS to be defective...maybe one took out the other. There will also be voltage and current regulation within the laptop. Sometimes things just cascade. What remains is how much time and effort you want to put into satisfying that curiosity. If nothing else, a learning experience has it's own value. Good luck in whatever way this turns out.

Collapse -
finally started
by cyprussid / August 1, 2014 3:50 PM PDT

hi guys well i got it started, left it powered on over night then disconnected all power held start button for one minute reconnected pressed start and a way she went BUT big question why do i need to do this must be an under lying problem

Collapse -
It may forever be a mystery, I'm afraid
by Steven Haninger / August 1, 2014 7:52 PM PDT
In reply to: finally started

I'm not, by trade, a computer tech, but by happenstance have had my hands on a few hundred PCs. I've not seen everything but have seen a lot. When a person asks "why did this happen", about all I can say is "it's a computer and computers do that". When you think about a computer or laptop, remember that it may have tens of thousands or even millions of electrical pathways that all need to work together. Statistics says such is nigh to impossible that nothing will ever go wrong. If you hang around here long enough you'll find many opinions on how to prevent or deal with inevitable failures. Unfortunately for you, your laptop doesn't seem to have youth on its side. Batteries and capacitors are wear items and heat is a catalyst that speeds up a computer's demise. A number of items have already been noted here which you can deal with but there are some you cannot. You will have two batteries and both will eventually stop working. One is inside to maintain the clock and BIOS setup when all power is disconnected. It's a little tougher to replace but BIOS issues can cause startup failures. The battery that powers you laptop is an easily user replaceable item. You can try that. Another thing I've found, and many or most will disagree, is that how a laptop is put to rest can affect how it will wake up. If you're using some sleep or suspend mode, I'd try not doing that. Shut it completely down when you're done for the day and do a cold restart the next time.

It's also possible that you have failing motherboard hardware. The frequent mention here has been bad capacitors. While I've never seen this on a laptop, I expect it's possible. I've only been able to confirm bad capacitors a handful of times but the typical symptoms are either PCs that take several attempts to start or those that shut down soon or randomly. I've seen bad caps on video cards that run OK for a while and then cause garbled screens. Capacitors are extensively used in power regulation as well as to absorb spurious signals that confuse digital devices. Bad capacitors in power regulation circuits tax the power supply and can cause it to shut down. If a PC has bad caps, the frequency of an exhibited problem tends to increase over time but so can it be with a battery. You can try to replace the batteries. It may be an expensive troubleshooting attempt if it's not the problem. Bad caps are fatal, however. You can't fix that and nor do you want to pay to have that done. All I can offer is that it's decision making time. Keep all of your data backed up, no matter what else you do. Good luck.

Collapse -
does this shed any light
by cyprussid / August 2, 2014 5:59 PM PDT

Hi Guys don't know if this gives any clues but if i do a restart it powers up no problem but if i turn off for a couple of hours then it wont start unless i turn on leave for a few hours then disconnected all power hold start button for one minute reconnect and press start button and it powers up as nomal

Collapse -
Sorry but that makes no sense
by Steven Haninger / August 2, 2014 7:28 PM PDT

Maybe you made a mistake in writing this: "... but if i turn off for a couple of hours then it wont start unless i turn on leave for a few hours then disconnected all power hold start button for one minute reconnect and press start button and it powers up as nomal"(sic) underline is mine

The underlined part suggests it won't start unless you turn it on. Laptops don't have an on/off switch. They have a momentary switch that just attempts to apply a "start" pulse to the rest of the power supply. If you turn it on and leave for a few hours...assuming a good battery or the power brick is connected...the laptop should still be on. Why then would you disconnect power and hold the start button again? Re-read what you wrote and try again but I doubt you'll be able to narrow anyone's thoughts as to what specifically is the problem.

Collapse -
by cyprussid / August 2, 2014 7:42 PM PDT

the underlined part means the laptop is switched on lights are showing but no drives fans ect are running, off in this case is if i disconnect all power and reconnect with out pressing power button, on preeing the power button only lights come on no drives ect, sorry for the confusion

Collapse -
I'm missing the exact model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2014 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: recap

The models with certain GPUs do fail like that. A new motherboard fixes it right up.

Collapse -
I did forget one other important possibility
by Steven Haninger / August 3, 2014 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: recap

and that is broken solder connections. If your laptop is less than about 8 years old, it's probably affected by some new standards that began in Europe. These standards reduced or eliminated the amount of lead that could be used in products sold there. Any manufacturer who wanted to see in those markets had to meet ROHS standards. One of these took lead out of solder. This made solder more difficult to work with and less forgiving. I can tell you that from personal experience that using lead free solder can be a pain. Solder joints are subject to flexing during heating and cooling cycles and will break. This tends to cause a lot of intermittent issues that can come and go with temperature changes. Your laptop could easily be a victim of lead free solder shortcomings. If so, symptoms can vary widely. Even mechanical connections are subject to intermittent problems. Quite often I've heard someone say they just took something all apart, put it together again and it worked. This usually means an intermittent connection somewhere and isolating it isn't easy. I doubt anyone is going to be able to pinpoint your problem but only offer their own experiences. You get to narrow from their and embark on your own course of action. You won't know what doesn't work until you actually do something but, if I'm you, I'm getting ready to say goodby to the laptop if it's going to occupy too much time or cost too much to even buy simple user replaceable parts for it.

Collapse -
Have you tried booting from a USB flashdrive yet?
by James Denison / July 28, 2014 3:42 PM PDT
In reply to: no luck

Are you able to enter the BIOS? Do you even see it go to POST?

Collapse -
no can do
by cyprussid / August 8, 2014 3:47 PM PDT

can't get to that stage when it wont start there is nothing except a few leds that light it will restart if i press restart button once it's running but if i turn off for a couple of hours i have to go through the disconnect all power and hold start button procedure

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?