Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Laptop Wallpaper.

by cossie_col / March 4, 2009 6:03 PM PST

Hi All, hopefully just a quick one here, I have a user who has complained that her Logo, which is deployed via CA to all users in the company, is not displaying correctly when she boots her laptop up, she needs to refresh to resolve this, as far as I am aware all the laptops do this while the desktops are fine. This appears to be a known issue but I was wondering if there are any fixes for this? the spec of laptops range from 1.6ghz 500mb to dual core 1.7ghz 1gb and all are running XP pro.

Thanks in advance.

C

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Wallpaper.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Wallpaper.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you explain more?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 4, 2009 6:18 PM PST
In reply to: Laptop Wallpaper.

If you are the IT tech for this office have you seen the Desktop wallpaper on this laptop yourself? If so, what does "not displaying properly" mean?

Is that a stretched image when it should be centered, or vice versa? Is the image corrupted?

How does the user refresh?

Does this happen to other wallpaper images or just the Company logo one?

Let us know more.

Mark

Collapse -
wallpaper
by cossie_col / March 4, 2009 6:28 PM PST
In reply to: Can you explain more?

Hi Mark,
Onlt 1/3 of the wallpaper will display correctly, the rest of the wallpaper is black, all her desktop icons are visable and work fine, she refreshes by hitting F5, after refreshing all of the wallpaper is fine. The wallpaper is a streched image covering the whole of the desktop, it will only happen with the company logo, the logo has been changed 3 times and its has always happened although no one has ever bothered to log a fault about it. 9 out of 10 users here do not have admin rights to the laptops so are not able to make any changes that would cause this.

C

Collapse -
Time to experiment.
by Kees Bakker / March 4, 2009 6:44 PM PST
In reply to: wallpaper

Try another wallpaper.
Try another format (jpg, bmp).

It's not a general feature of laptops that they display only part of the wallpaper the first time. So I assume it has to do something with this particular picture.

Kees

Collapse -
I agree with Kees.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 4, 2009 6:46 PM PST
In reply to: wallpaper

Just to be sure I get the whole picture, (no pun intended), this only happens on boot-up with this particular image set as the wallpaper? If another wallpaper image is selected and the system is rebooted, the same problem does not happen.

If that has not been tried, I realize that the user cannot change the wallpaper herself, so someone would have to do that for her.

The test is to try and establish if the problem is particular to one particular wallpaper image, or if the problem is global.

Mark

Collapse -
got it
by cossie_col / March 4, 2009 6:51 PM PST
In reply to: I agree with Kees.

HI guys, I think I have the answer, it appears to be caused by the login script that the copmpany set up, as this effects aroung 700 laptops (with any wallpaper that is deployed by CA) I will get the said company to confirm this and try to let you know.

Thanks for all your imput everyone.

Cheers

Col

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2009 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: Laptop Wallpaper.
Collapse -
yea
by cossie_col / March 4, 2009 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: Yup.

I think the easiest answer is to get a keystroke (f5) added to the log on script, it's not a "fix" more like a workaround, but the easiest to implament.

C

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?