Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop w/ DVD Burner, Centino, Good graphics for $1500?

by AirElPaso / November 3, 2004 9:02 AM PST

Are there any good laptops that I get for no more than $1500? I want it to have at least 1.6 ghz Pentium M, a 60GB HD, DVD burner, dedicated graphics card(32MB will do), and 512MB ram. I have been customizing several differant ones but they all are coming out around $1700 and that is just too much for me to afford right now. But I do like the HP dv1040 and I can get it for $1300 at Best Buy this week but the only problem is it doesnt have dedicated memory, but I guess I'll just have to use my desktop for that if I go that route. So, does anyone know if any companies are going to be having any special rebates in the upcoming months? Thanks for your time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop w/ DVD Burner, Centino, Good graphics for $1500?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop w/ DVD Burner, Centino, Good graphics for $1500?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Laptop w/ DVD Burner, Centino, Good graphics for $1500?
by KenSanramon / November 4, 2004 3:49 AM PST

You should easily be able to get about that price with the HPZT3000 or Compaq X1000 --- see X1000forums.com for best discounts (many applicable to any HP custom order model at HPshopping) including $100 custom order mail in rebate through 12/1/04 (on hpshopping mail in rebates link on homepage, not the $50 or $30 one on order screens), 3% fat cash portal discount, 6% APP student discount is qualified, 12% EPP employer discount if qualified (my employer added this in mid 2004), and other coupon codes (short-term).

You don't get the DVD functions and CD functions (and remote) with the computer turned off (on the DV1000 which is 5.3 pounds -- 14" widescreen) but you do get the 15.4" widescreen, Dedicated ATI 9200 video graphics (32mb or 64mb -- only $50 more custom for 64mb) and you can now custom order a multiformat DVD burner (was only DVD+ in the past). You can also order a 60gb 5400rpm hard drive for only $25 more than the 4200 rpm hard drive.

You are best off ordering 256mb RAM 1 stick and adding 512mb RAM yourself (for 768mb total) for under $100 retail when on sale (Kingston, etc).

You are not applying all the discounts as many people get a custom order HPZT3000/Compaq X1000 for under $1500 and even under $1000 in some cases after discounts.

I have a Compaq X1000 series and it is a great overall notebook at 6.5 pounds, excel spreadsheets and widescreeen DVD's look great, you can custom order the XGA Briteview LCD or get higher resolutions if you want (XGA or SXGA) and the keyboard feel and case integrity (metal bezel around LCD for stability and aluminum LCD top) are great.

The only drawback is that there is not 128mb Dedicated video available but 64mb or 32mb is fine for most and you have already stated this is what you want.

Collapse -

A 14inch iBook is $1,400 and has:

1.33GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-R/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in
One 6-pin Firewire and Two USB 2 ports
6-hour battery life

http://www.apple.com/ibook/

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 4, 2004 7:23 AM PST

Apples are great options but most serious users willing to get an Apple would either buy the 15" Apple powerbook (between $2000 and $2500) and the outstanding 6.9 pound Apple 17" Powerbook (over $2500).

Cnet highly recommends these as well if you are willing to go up 500-1000 in price.

The Ibooks are great for students.

Note that the Centrino notebooks I notated have a 15.4" widescreen not a 14" square screen (that is more comparable to the new HP DV1000 series which was modeled after Apple products). Thus, the price comparison is a 15" Apple Powerbook.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!