Resolved Question

LAPTOP vs TABLET

I am in search of a laptop or tablet. Which way do I go?
My husband and I do internet, email, word processing and pictures. I do genealogy and do a lot of printing of documents. No gaming. We are retired and are starting to travel.What do you suggest? We have a television in our travel trailer that we can use as a monitor. We do watch TV, which it would be nice to watch television shows and/or movies.

Discussion is locked
poohshaw has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: LAPTOP vs TABLET
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LAPTOP vs TABLET
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Laptop.

This one is easy. Most tablets do not run Word or those genealogy apps. No reason to get a tablet today.
Bob

- Collapse -
LAPTOP vs TABLET

Thank-you. Now which laptop do you recommend for under $800.00?

- Collapse -
The ones in this forum's top sticky post.
- Collapse -
Answer
I agree with Bob

A laptop is the way to go. Not all tablets even have ports to connect to a TV. Genealogy software will be much easier to find and use on a laptop. Tablets are nice for quick information you need fast but for long term work you can't beat a laptop.

Yesterday i was shopping at Best Buy for my labor day weekend trip to the beach. I wanted a portable speaker unit for my ipod. Well i had purchased a Logitech speaker unit Walmart mainly for cost as IO saw one at Best Buy which CNET rated real high but was $30 more. I bought the one at Walmart for 99. When I set it up it played fine but the remote didn't work. I looked at the best buy add and their model was advertised at 114. I decidec I would buy the Best Buy unit and return the Walmart one. Well at Best Buy the item was marked at 129. I used my Samsung S3 and googled the Best Buy page and it said 114. I went to the counter and asked if it was on sale and she enter the code into the register into the register and it showed 129. I showed her the page on my phone and she rang it up as price match and sold it to me for 114. This is one use of a tablet of phone. They have apps that you can scan the codes and will show prices across the USA and you can get the item at a matched price. A laptop wouldn't be as convenient for that type of use whereas a tablet or phone is.

- Collapse -
LAPTOP vs TABLET

Thank-you for the information.

CNET Forums