General discussion

Laptop vs PC

Hi guys.

I've currently got a Pentium 2, 450MHz PC. (Prehistoric, right?) So I'm considering buying a new computer, but am unsure whether to invest in a fairly decent laptop, or a slightly better desktop.

My basic requirements are speed and XP, so obviously the processor comes into the equation. The prices here (UK) suggest that for about

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Laptop vs PC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop vs PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just my opinion

Unless you buy a top of the line laptop and intend to sell it within a year, resale value should not be a consideration. If you find often that you'd like to take a PC with you somewhere, that's important. Think this way, however. If you had two PCs available all the time...one a desktop and one a laptop, which would you go to for general use. Unless you have worked a lot with the smaller keyboards an other compact designs of the laptop, my guess is that you will find it more cumbersome to use. My choice for what I do would be a desktop. I also have a laptop for business use but much prefer the full size animal. It's a tough decision.

- Collapse -
My View Point

Unless mobility and/or space is of importance I would go for desktop. I have friends who bought laptops who have come to me for instructions and this requires me demonstrating on their laptop. It makes me appreciate my big old clunky desktop with full size keyboard and nineteen inch monitor.
By the way, the friends who bought the laptops do not need mobility or space. They bought them because it was the "in thing" to do.
Another BTW. Don't rule out gaming. I had no interest in gaming until I met trainsimming and flight simming. It can get to you.

DC

- Collapse -
Mobility could become an issue in the future...

In the near future it might be more necessary to be able to move my computer about. Also also a laptop has more independence from the rest of the family.

We only have 1 internet access point and I don't like the look of the hassle involved with LAN, so Wi-Fi would be a better option. Also it means I can take the laptop to some places I've seen with WAPs as another access point.

I doubt that I'm suddenly going to get into resource hungry gaming, so it's just music, internet, work and DVDs for now Happy

- Collapse -
I have both

and I find myself using the notebook more and more. My notebook is more of a desktop replacement than a mobile computer. I like being able to use it while lying on the couch. If I had to only have one, it would be a very difficult choice.

CNET Forums

Forum Info