Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop vs. Desktop Then Which brand?

by ImaPwnU / March 27, 2007 11:34 AM PDT

Ok...so I recently graduated college and throughout the duration of my college life I had a Dell Inspiron 8200 which I got in 2003. Just recently my backlight went out and I am going to fix it but I realized that this is just a bandaid on a larger problem. I love to play games. I played CS and CS source as well several other older games but I cant play any of the newer games like WoW (which I found i love to play on a friends new computer) and FPS like FEAR and Doom 3.

So this leaves me in the market for a new laptop. I have been reading the forums and researching cnet as well as building dream laptops and desktops on manufacturers websites (IE Dell, HP, etc..) and came to one conclusion. Is it even feasible to find a laptop that can last me a while? (at least 3-4 years) Without getting phased out by the massive demands of new games? Is it even possible to find a premier gameing laptop below 2200$?

I love the mobility of laptops, but they are inherently doomed to fail due to Moores law and whatnot. WOuld an upgradeable desktop be better? Either way what companies are best known for quality support without crucifying you with expensive extended warranties?

I understand this is getting long so I came to the following conclusions:
1 The minimum amount of RAM I would want is 2gigs.
2 The core 2 Duo processor and Athlons equivalent are pretty much the indusrty standard ATM
3 SOme companies are not even packaging a Video card or Grahpics processor or even physics renderer due to processing efficiency ( is that right?)

Ok I probrably left out the bulk of what I wanted to say due to rambling but any opinioins on systems and companies would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop vs. Desktop Then Which brand?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop vs. Desktop Then Which brand?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well....
by steve749 / March 28, 2007 1:06 AM PDT

Assuming you don't go for an external graphics card which there was an article about over on Arstechnica.com last year, yes a desktop is likely a better solution. Additionally, I would suggest that you build it yourself so you aren't saddled with a low PSU or other issues that can happen if you order a system on-line and later find out that this won't work down the road as well as you thought.

If you go to sites like Extremetech.com's Build It section they have examples of a gaming machine you could build yourself if you are so inclined. Newegg.com is often mentioned as a site where you could order the parts, fwiw.

A few things to ponder in the new system is whether or not you want to get Vista in it or not. Similarly, do you want to get a DX 10 card now or later to support the latest Direct X that games in the near future will likely take use like Crysis for example.

Just a suggestion,
JB

Collapse -
RE
by ImaPwnU / March 28, 2007 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Well....

Hmm... I for some reason was under the impression that building your own computer wasnt as cost effective as it used to be. I mean even on that website where you could build your own computer it still came out to be roughly the same amount as a similarly built company computer...only there were longer warranties availble from the mainstream computer manufacturers.
However, the benefits of personalization and knowing exactly what you are getting can provide a peace of mind that is almost as good as that manufacturer warranty.
I'll be honest and say that I have little to no experience in building my own computer. (but i guess there is plenty of time to learn) I guess after being babied by Dell the thought of trying to figure out my own PC problems seems a bit daunting.
Also, atm I am travelling back and forth between San Diego, Seattle, and Phoenix trying to settle down. But I find I dont use my current laptop all that much when travelling.
Maybe I am better off just getting a desktop and putting some tlc into my old Laptop (Get that burnt out backlight on my lcd fixed.) and use it for remedial tasks that require little more than web browsing and Word Processing.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!