Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop vs. Desktop

by Gerald_Soriano / December 1, 2008 3:38 PM PST

Ok so I need to know what you guys think about latops and desktops. Considering their advantages and disadvantages, I find it really hard to find to choose between the two. But in my opinion, I think that the laptop owns the desktop XD. So please help me make a final chioce. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop vs. Desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop vs. Desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Laptop versus desktop.
by Kees Bakker / December 1, 2008 4:07 PM PST
In reply to: Laptop vs. Desktop

A laptop can't be beat for transportability.

A desktop is cheaper and can be configured and changed and expanded more easily (for example: the best graphic card you can find, 4 internal hard disks if you need them, replacing the DVD-player by a Blue-Ray player in 2010 if you need it).

So it depends on your requirements. And you don't tell anything about that.

Kees

Collapse -
Good Answer
by Gerald_Soriano / December 1, 2008 7:41 PM PST
In reply to: Laptop versus desktop.

Thanks for your answer. I really appreciate your facts. Though I still don't really know the advantages of a laptop. Only having portability as an advantage seems like its not worth it.

Collapse -
Re: laptop
by Kees Bakker / December 2, 2008 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Good Answer

I see a lot of students taking their laptop to school to make notes in the class and to work on projects. If the school has enough PC's with the right software a USB stick to contain all the project data would suffice of course. But for use in the classroom that won't work.

And I see a lot of people in a train using their laptop either for work or for looking at movies. You can't do that with a desktop either.

And, of course, a lot of people having a form of mobile work (for example: consultants, sales people) have a laptop to take with them.

Those are all excellent reasons, don't you think? It really depends on the circumstances what is best.

Kees

Collapse -
True
by Gerald_Soriano / December 2, 2008 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: Re: laptop

That is absolutely true! So the only way I can male the right decision is to listen to my needs! Thanks! But know I would like to know what kind of people are suited for the desktop. Keep on coming with those answers guys. I really need your opinions!

Collapse -
Laptop vs. Desktop
by Renegade Knight / December 3, 2008 4:03 AM PST

Laptops are portable. Thats the one advantage. It's a big one. Want to watch a movie while you cook dinner? Just pop the laptop on the counter and do it. Want to play some games on a trip, or keep up on email? That's a laptop.

Desktops still do everthing a laptop does better except the portability. Laptops have closed enough of the gap to where a lot of times it doesn't matter.

The other difference is price. Desktops are less for more power.

Collapse -
Less external devices needed with laptops
by GENE8 / December 5, 2008 3:43 PM PST

Everyone mentioned portability, but no one mentioned the fact that laptops also don't need external devices such as a separate keyboard, mouse and speakers. There is also no need for an external broadband modem (although you will need a broadband card if you don't want to use the built-in Wi-Fi adapter). Smart phones are becoming so sophisticated now that pretty soon they will probably be taking the place of laptops anyway.

Collapse -
I wish I hadn't switched to a laptop
by john42 / December 5, 2008 6:34 PM PST

My PC conked out. I had been wondering about replacing it with a laptop anyway so I went ahead. I wish I hadn't.

Nothing particularly wrong with the VistaHPx64 laptop (apart from the eternal MS problem, far worse in Vista than in XP, of being unable to remember folder and icons settings - grrr!) but the screen display is smaller than the PC's and as I scribble for a living that's not helpful.

I also miss the separate numeric keyboard (I'm an alt-code kind of guy and the imbedded keyboard is a fiddle) and I don't need it for portability 'cos I've got one of those tiny Asus thingies which is fine (surprisingly) for writing on the go and interrogating IMDb in front of the TV.

Fortunately, the computer store where I bought my Acer laptop also repaired my PC (and loaded it with XP Business which has many Vista-like features) and I now use that more than I use the laptop, one reason being that the PC's separate WiFi adapater gets onto the net a lot faster than the laptop's internal device.

So as far as I'm concerned, the only advantage would be portability and I don't really need that.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Laptop Will Not Last as Long
by cquigley47 / December 5, 2008 7:33 PM PST

I had a desktop and brought a laptop as a second PC. We have two daughters. The laptop didn't last 2 years with all the abuse it got from my daughters. I replaced the power cord 3-4 times during the 2 years and the battery also needed replacing. I did get another laptop but it now mostly stays in one daughters room so it isn't getting beat up as much. I did have had to replace the battery after about 1 year.

Collapse -
Well let's see
by gkamer / December 6, 2008 11:19 AM PST

From a portability standpoint, the laptop is going to win hands down. Of course that's a no brainer. A tad differcult to break down a desk top and move it from your office to the bedroom.

From an upgrade standpoint, the desk top is going to win hands down. Once you config a laptop, you're pretty much locked into it for ever. Have you ever tried to upgrade a video card or hard drive in a laptop? Kind of a pain in the butt.

Also you don't want to forget about power considerations. Laptop batteries have improved over the years, but are still not all that great.

Price of course is another consideration. A desk top is going to cost a lot less then a comparable laptop.

So I guess what you really need is to take a look at your particular needs. Are you on the road a lot as part of your job? If so a laptop might fit your needs better.

I purchased a laptop because I intended it to be a replacement for my old desk top. Now, I wish I would have spent only half what I paid for the laptop and replaced my old desk stop, since I end up using it a lot more often for a lot of other projects, while my laptop sits idle.

Collapse -
laptop vs desktop
by keithhodgson / December 6, 2008 9:44 PM PST

I have both and also a netbook.
The laptop is fairly low powered, is easy to use about the house, garden, etc. I also have 3 desktops, one for each member of the family. These are good for big display, games, etc. And finally a netbook (MSI Wind) which is really useful for taking everywhere, working on the train, viewing movies while waiting for bus/train/plane. It is super portable and XP so compatable with the other units, but make sure you get one with a viewable screen (size, quality, etc.) and a keyboard that you're comfortable with.

So my advice would be good desktop and a netbook for when you want to be portable. Netbooks go from

Collapse -
Laptop
by meepo97-22313731183197971 / December 7, 2008 5:27 AM PST

Get a laptop. More portable. Cheaper. Sometimes better than desktops in performance!

Collapse -
Additional Considerations for Laptop
by ghicker / December 8, 2008 6:41 AM PST

Laptops are perfect for portable use and limited daily use. But if you intend to use the laptop for long periods of time everyday, then you need to be aware of the design differences.

Laptops have limited cooling abilities due to the compact design and limited airflow inside the case. The result is that most laptops run hot, which can affect the life of the components inside a laptop. And as previously mentioned, it is not easy or cheap to replace laptop components.

I used a laptop keyboard daily for 3 years and many of the letters were worn off the keys. When you wear out a keyboard on your desktop, you go out and buy a newer and better one. When you wear out your keyboard on your laptop, you go out and buy a new and better laptop.

If you intend to replace a desktop home computer with a laptop, then I highly recommend a laptop with a docking station. A docking station allows you to use a desktop monitor, keyboard and mouse, which saves you wear and tear on your latop...not to mention the possibility of a full size keyboard, larger monitor and more ergonomic mouse.

Ignore the posts that claim a laptop is faster than a desktop, that can only be true if you compare apples to oranges. A fast processor and video card produces a ton of heat, which requires multiple fans and good airflow even for a desktop system. A laptop is not designed to consume the power and provide the cooling that is required of high performance processors and video cards. Laptops have improved immensely, but for the same amount of money you can always find a faster desktop.

- If you want speed, performance and the ability to upgrade a PC for many years, then a desktop is your best solution.
- If you want portability then a laptop is your best solution.
- If you can't decide or want both, then consider buying a good desktop and a cheap netbook. Netbooks give you portability at a great price point, and they will handle what most people want to do remotely (Surf internet, read email, watch movies).

Collapse -
Some Desktop Uses
by choosenotebook / December 8, 2008 1:19 PM PST

Here's my input on Desktop Uses:

1. High performance tasks such as serious gaming, pro graphics or video editing/rendering and other professional applications.

2. Large screen or dual, triple, quad monitor setups for maximum productivity.

3. Multiple drives/high storage needs such as for video capturing and storage.

4. Flexible hardware customization.

5. Less worry of theft.

6. Feeling of comfort that you have the speed when you need it? Happy

or simply just more performance for less money.

Collapse -
A few more stuff ("always on" uses)
by choosenotebook / December 8, 2008 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: Some Desktop Uses

- Remote desktop server

- A web, file, or application server

- Security camera recording

Hmmnn.. running out of uses... maybe later.. Happy

Collapse -
Many New advantages
by joedread1985 / December 11, 2008 4:52 AM PST

Laptop are getting extremely more popular now a days! They are advancing in performance ever year and are slightly behind in speed when it comes to desktops. But hey, there are Laptops available to blow away a common gaming desktop computer. It really matters if your going high tech or premium. My new Sager np9262 can play any of the new end games with out being choppy and play at maximum settings.
It Weighs ALOT!!! Thats the only downside i have seen.

Over all, I give Laptops a 1 plus more verse the desktop
"(smaller,portable,not as much heat!!!,no need for an external moniter,less cords,can go up to 8gb memory now,on the work go all day long.!!

EX. can't take your work with you all day...find your self hungry. Go to a sit down restaurant and want to check the e-mail/work/game.. whatever.

Desktop is for the "extreme gamers"/"Networks" and the other people that are really glued to performance. {constant change in hardware}
but hey.....everyone has diffrent tastes

Collapse -
Laptop VS Desktop
by geemayb / December 27, 2008 12:04 PM PST

I agree with the other posts that it is a personal preference. I own one of each and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have them networked together along with a wireless printer so I can print from both and also get on the internet and share files. I prefer relaxing on the couch and using my laptop, however when it comes to playing my games which are huge (I'm talking 4 Gigs each) I always use my desktop because I enjoy playing them on my 22" monitor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?