Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Laptop touch pad help

by R_Cronier / March 2, 2014 2:06 AM PST

Had to take apart a Gateway NV55c laptop and it appears that there is something wrong with the ribbon cable that connects the touch pad to the motherboard. I was going to order a new cable online but will take a cpl. of days or so to get here so was going to install an external mouse so my daughter could use her laptop until the new cable comes in. The problem is that when you power up the laptop it takes you to the lock screen and I can't enter the password to get the lock screen to go away because I need to click inside the box to get the cursor to start flashing to enter the password. Is there anyway to bypass this so I can install the external mouse?

R_Cronier has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop touch pad help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop touch pad help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by R_Cronier

Collapse -
(NT) Try the TAB key. That usually works.
by wpgwpg / March 2, 2014 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop touch pad help
Collapse -
Thanks!!!!
by R_Cronier / March 2, 2014 2:59 AM PST

Thanks to both of you, but wpgwpg's idea did it. Up and going now. Off to order a new ribbon cable. Hey, while on that, if I order a new ribbon cable does it come with new push connectors or do I need to get those separately?

Collapse -
I can't answer about the cable
by wpgwpg / March 2, 2014 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!!!!

I don't have anything made by Gateway any more. I had a 2006 Gateway desktop and after a few weeks the keyboard had to be replaced. After a year or two the monitor had to be replaced, and after 3 years the motherboard went out. After that I've bought Dell desktops and Toshiba laptops.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Maybe you
by itsdigger / March 2, 2014 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop touch pad help

can use a Linux live cd for now until the cable comes in. Just plug the mouse in and use Linux but don't install it

Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.