Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop to HDTV no picture

I recently purchased a VGA to component cable to connect my laptop to my HDTV. After connecting, I tried adjusting the resolution and toggled between view modes, but I can't get anything to show up on the TV. I have an Inspiron 1720 laptop. Anyone have any ideas as to why there is no picture on the TV? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop to HDTV no picture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop to HDTV no picture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too little to work with.

In reply to: Laptop to HDTV no picture

Let's try simple. I don't see where you changed inputs or sources on your TV and since it's the VGA connection on your laptop tell me which Fn+what key you used to enable that.
Bob

Collapse -
Fn+F8

In reply to: Too little to work with.

I changed the input on my TV corresponding with the component input, and I tried both component inputs on the back of my TV. On my laptop, I tried all resolutions for the TV monitor under Display Settings, and no picture came up. I even had a Dell agent remotely connect to my laptop to troubleshoot, and his conclusion was to get an S-Video cable. From what I know, S-Video is not very good quality on a TV, so that was one of my last options. According to the manual, my video card can output in component, so I just can't figure out what the problem is. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Then baby steps.

In reply to: Fn+F8

Hook a VGA monitor to your laptop and make sure there is a display on the VGA monitor first. I helped someone with this and their laptop was missing some chips so their laptop could have never worked. It was too much fun sending photos to the laptop's maker asking them what to do next.
Bob

Collapse -
no component port

In reply to: Then baby steps.

Wouldn't I need a VGA to VGA cable for that? The one I have ends in RGB connectors.

Collapse -
Most monitors come with that.

In reply to: no component port

I think we're onto something now. You haven't verified the laptop is producing a signal at the VGA port on the laptop yet.

Collapse -
I'll hook it up

In reply to: Most monitors come with that.

I realize what you said, I will hook up my laptop to my desktop monitor using my desktop VGA cable and I'll post the results.

Collapse -
It works

In reply to: I'll hook it up

I hooked up my laptop to my desktop monitor with the VGA to VGA cable and it works perfectly, so the laptop is outputing a VGA signal. What would you recommend from here? Thanks.

Collapse -
Get the output set to 640x480 and 60Hz

In reply to: It works

Then install the vga to component conversion, connect, switch the TV to those inputs and hope.

Collapse -
Can't go that low

In reply to: Get the output set to 640x480 and 60Hz

The lowest resolution that I can set on my laptop for it's own monitor and for other connected displays is 800x600. Is there any way, such as with a program, that I can get it lower than that? And also, do I need any type of converter box or should the cable itself work fine?

Collapse -
Try 800x600 and...

In reply to: Can't go that low

Get the 60Hz refresh rate for the first try. If that doesn't work then the adapter is looking to be defective.

-> Just confirming. I noted a few times about setting the inputs of the TV. I'm unsure if you did that.

Collapse -
Doesn't work

In reply to: Try 800x600 and...

Collapse -
The Startech is one of the usuals.

In reply to: Doesn't work

Thanks for clearing off that one item (switching TV inputs.)

Is there a link for your cable you do have?

Collapse -
Bingo.

In reply to: Laptop to HDTV no picture

"Ships from and sold by Eforcity." And other clues.

This cable will never work. I'm done.
Bob

Collapse -
Strange

In reply to: Bingo.

Is that a bad company or something? The reason I bought it was because it had said that it connects a laptop to a HDTV, but I guess not..is there any other cable that would connect the two or do I have to use an actual converter box?

Collapse -
I wasted your time.

In reply to: Strange

Sorry, I should have insisted on knowing what cable we were working with. Instead I worked the issue as if there was a good cable or converter and didn't suspect at first you had only a cable. Sorry and yes you do need a converter since there are no signals in VGA that can be wired to your HDTV component plugs to produce a signal.
Let's not spend any more time on this dead end.
Bob

Collapse -
Just to finalize

In reply to: I wasted your time.

Last question; would it be best if I just bought an S-Video cable to connect the two or should I get the VGA to component converter? Thanks.

Collapse -
Your choice.

In reply to: Just to finalize

S video AKA 480i or 480p vs VGA which can be nearly HD.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.