HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Laptop temperatures

by Kirilax / July 9, 2009 4:25 AM PDT

Hi,

I have been having some issues with my notebook as of late. When playing a hardware intensive game, everything will be fine for 10-15 minutes, and then the FPS will drop to around 5-15fps for a few minutes. After a few minutes of that, everything will return to normal. I have had this laptop for a couple of years, and it is built to play games. I have never had these issues in the past.

I changed my video drivers a couple of times to no avail. I am using modded .inf drivers.

Today, I started up Far Cry 2 with Speedfan running, and when the game slowed down, I alt+tabbed out to check Speedfan, and found that each of my CPUs were running at over 65c, with Core0 pushing 70c. Speedfan isn't giving me any information on my GPU, but I bet that it isn't very cool. I did not have Speedfan regulating fan speed. I had them set to maximum.

Since I'm not getting artifacting, I don't think that there is any damage to any hardware components yet. I believe the sudden FPS drop is from my CPUs scaling back their clock when they hit a certain temperature. What concerns me is that this is a new problem, and one that I've only seen for the last few weeks. The fans are clean, the notebook sits on my desk all of the time and has a decent berth to allow airflow. The room is not usually warmer than 21-24c. The notebook has little legs so it is sitting up off the desk. Any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: CLEVO
System Model: D900C
BIOS: BIOS Revision: D900C 1.00.03E2
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 658MB used, 3280MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce Go 7950 GTX
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop temperatures
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop temperatures
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First Thought
by Jimmy Greystone / July 9, 2009 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop temperatures

First thought, since you said you've had the system for "a couple of years" is when is the last time you blew out the fans and exhaust ports?

Collapse -
Dust
by Kirilax / July 9, 2009 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: First Thought

It was about 6 weeks ago that I opened it up and blew out all of the dust that I could find.

Collapse -
Given the age.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop temperatures

How do you refresh your heatsink compound after a few years. That is, will you do that yourself or will you have it done?

I just finished doing this on my really old HP R3000 and pulled out a great big old tuft of link buried in the heatsink that the air blast couldn't get out.

I share this since after a few years I think many laptops will start to sputter and most just think these devices are maintenance free bricks.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.