Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop suggestions for Interior Design Autocad

by mariolopez616 / November 2, 2010 12:08 AM PDT

My wife is currently enriooled in a Interior Design program and the school is providing the Autocad program to her, however, I have no information on the program. I need advice on a laptop that will suit her needs and not run like pond water. We have looked at the HP dv7t thus far and would like to explore any other possible options. Some requirements that where listed by the school include:

Windows
Processor: Intel Core 2 or i5
Operating System: Windows Xp, Vista or 7 32bit/64bit (Professional or above)**
Wireless: 802.11 b/g/n
4GB DDR2 RAM
250GB hard drive
Nvidia GeForce 8400M or better dedicated graphics card

A quality graphics card along with RAM is most important. I would like to get her something with more then 6GB of RAM and at least 320GB of hard drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop suggestions for Interior Design Autocad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop suggestions for Interior Design Autocad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Correction
by mariolopez616 / November 2, 2010 12:13 AM PDT

I would like something with at least 4GB of RAM but 6GB is preferred.

Collapse -
My wife has the dv7 with the core i7 cpu and 1GB display.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2010 12:17 AM PDT

It's one hot machine. It's also unacceptable for a student for carrying around.

Why does she use this machine? "The SIMS." It's a fine game playing machine and would run AutoCad better than machines from 2 years ago.

I suggest you shop for the machines with the Core i5, and SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS. And the rest of your specs.

ARE YOU SURE this must be a 17 inch laptop? If so, plan on little mobile use. The dv7 is too bendy and is too likely to suffer early failure when in that use pattern.

--> Armed with that, try the laptop pickers noted at the top sticky post in this forum.
Bob

Collapse -
Exaample unit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2010 2:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
17 Inch display not necessary
by mariolopez616 / November 2, 2010 3:55 AM PDT

She needs something with the performance aspects of the dv7 but with portability. I'm sure she would love the 17 inch display but eventually that thing would become more of a nuisance then anything.

Proffitt, I haven't had much experience with ASUS. Like any laptop, I am concerned about the quality and the customer service.

Collapse -
HP is not much better on service.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2010 4:04 AM PDT

I an attest to that after last week's 3.5 phone call. It's one bug in one of their models and it took 3.5 hours to accomplish returning the product for service.

This appears to be the norm today (Apple excluded.)

-> Back to your search. Use the laptop pickers at the top of the forum. Steer clear of i7 CPU (vs 17 inch) machines if there is any thought of using this on a lap or running off the battery.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?