Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop sometimes turns on, sometimes won't

by cms07f / December 27, 2010 8:57 AM PST

Starting yesterday, my laptop acts as though it is in sleep mode (which my power settings do not allow for), but when I try to get it to wake up, pushing the power button just turns it off. Then when I try to turn it back on, the keyboard and power lights come on but there's a black screen and no sound. Then, today, after many times of turning it off and trying to turn it back on, it worked, but it said that it had to start up in recovery mode and the computer tried to revert itself to a previous, working state. Everything was fine and I used it for several hours without a problem, but then I went back to it about 3 hours later it turned black again. There is no problem with overheating, the charger works perfectly, and I think this points to a software problem as opposed to a hardware one. Any suggestions? I am running Windows vista on a Dell latitude 620.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop sometimes turns on, sometimes won't
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop sometimes turns on, sometimes won't
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see a little detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2010 8:59 AM PST

I have an unknown age Dell Lattitude 620 without age or use to gauge if this is some unit that needs a new motherboard or maybe a battery. Tell a little more.

-> There is one clue and that some folk have the power settings to not turn off but to sleep and then they put the machine away. The battery is depleted and the next attempt at booting fails JUST LIKE YOUR DESCRIPTION. Let's hope it's that old issue.

Collapse -
by cms07f / December 27, 2010 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: I see a little detail.

The laptop is about 3.5 years old, the battery less than a year old. Every time I have tried to turn it on to no avail it has either been plugged in at the time or had been charging an ample amount of time and should not have been depleted of power. Also, I have tried removing the battery and putting it back in, with no luck.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2010 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: Detail

Try the generic reset noted in the forum sticky. Remove battery, AC and press the power button for a full minute. Release and forget the battery and see if it boots and shows the dell screen. If not it sounds like the motherboard has failed.

Again, all details matter. For example my old laptop didn't boot one day and I lost a hour until I remembered I had left some memory card in the PC-Card slot (yes, it's a little oddball card but the point is that all details matter.)

Collapse -
Same problem - did you resolve yours?
by l444 / April 23, 2011 1:40 PM PDT

My laptop (HP, 2 yrs. old, running Windows Vista) has been having the same problem for the last week. Did you figure out what was wrong with yours? It just would be helpful to have more ideas of what could be going on with mine and/or any additional diagnostics I could run. It's not a battery or overheating issue, and I haven't changed anything about it (e.g., no new memory cards or anything). Thanks!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?