Computer Help forum

General discussion

laptop shuts down when I insert a game cd

by lglsec2006 / November 25, 2008 12:09 AM PST

Trying to get friend's laptop to play games. He has a Compaq Presario 2100 series. CD Rom will install the game, which is an older game, so no new graphics issues. When he tries to play the game, however, it shuts down the laptop.
I have updated the laptop to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and 3. Updated Internet Explorer. Using AVG antivirus software. Scanned and removed all threats. Set the exceptions in the firewall to allow the game. Downloaded and installed the updated driver for Direct X. Still will not work. There was a program called Antivirus Pro 2009 which got into the hard drive and was causing some issues. I think I have it removed. AVG is running fine and shows all is secure.
It will play DVDs, but no music CDs or game CD. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop shuts down when I insert a game cd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop shuts down when I insert a game cd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To Be SURE You've Removed Antivirus 2009...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 25, 2008 12:57 AM PST

..please follow the steps below. And yes, malware can frequently cause the issue you're seeing.. In addition, if you haven't already, using compressed air, be sure to blow out all the dust and junk from inside the computer and from around all the vents. Game use causes heat which can shut down machines easily.:

First, ,,,,

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the link below:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

And IF you are not able to download these tools on your machine, please use a friend or family member's computer and download the Malwarebytes tool and it's manual update from the link below.. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

After doing that, then download the free tool from the link below, install it, update it, then run a full system scan:

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
malware issue
by lglsec2006 / November 25, 2008 8:49 AM PST

I have already used the malware removal tool from Microsoft's website. Not sure about using another one that I am not sure about. Another thing started today: no videos will play. Clicked on yahoo and music videos, also tried youtube. Nothing. Any ideas on that? Or is it possibly the same problem?

Collapse -
removed the infection
by lglsec2006 / November 26, 2008 1:10 AM PST

Was able to isolate and remove 35 infections with the malware removal tool you suggested. Thanks!
Now, the videos will not play. I downloaded Java and installed it, but still nothing will play from any site. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Then The Next Step...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 26, 2008 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: removed the infection

Since many videos use Flash now, please follow the steps below to uninstall, then reinstall the Flash player:

Try using the newest Flash Player 10.0.12.36 version.

First, uninstall Flash by using the Flash Uninstaller at the link below..

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157

After that's done, then download the manual Flash player installer from the link below.. Download it to your desktop and Run it to install the newest Flash for Internet Explorer.

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe

Once that's done, if you're also using Firefox, visit the site below while in Firefox, then download and run the Flash plugin installer

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&%3BLang=French&%3BP5_Language=French

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
registry issue
by lglsec2006 / December 2, 2008 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Then The Next Step...

I did what you suggested, however, after Flash Player installed it still would not run. I checked microsoft site and they suggest it is a registry issue. I uninstalled it and tried to use a registry cleaner program I downloaded here on cnet. It is running amok, will have to uninstall. Is there as safe, free cleaner I can use?

Collapse -
The Flash Uninstaller Removes All Such Registry Entries...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 2, 2008 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: registry issue

..but it would be nice to know which registry cleaner you installed and what you mean by "running amok"? EXACTLY what is occurring?

Tried using "Ccleaner"?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
registry cleaner
by lglsec2006 / December 3, 2008 10:45 PM PST

I believe it was registry mechanic. After it ran the scan, it said there were 930 repairs needed, however, the free scan would only take care of 15. I let it do that and closed it. It kept opening like malware and trying to get me to purchase it. I finally uninstalled it.
Downloaded the CCleaner and ran it. Worked fine. Seemed all issues were handled.
I tried to download and install the flash player again after uninstalling the one on the laptop. I could go to the page where the download link is located, but it will not do anything when I click on the link to install.

Collapse -
Sounds Like the Registry Is Causing Problems
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 3, 2008 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: registry cleaner

Such is life when folks use automatic registry cleaners..

That said, at this point, I would try using System Restore to go back when the registry was correct and whole.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.