..please follow the steps below. And yes, malware can frequently cause the issue you're seeing.. In addition, if you haven't already, using compressed air, be sure to blow out all the dust and junk from inside the computer and from around all the vents. Game use causes heat which can shut down machines easily.:
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the link below:
Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.
And IF you are not able to download these tools on your machine, please use a friend or family member's computer and download the Malwarebytes tool and it's manual update from the link below.. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.
Malwarebytes Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
After doing that, then download the free tool from the link below, install it, update it, then run a full system scan:
SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool
Hope this helps.
Trying to get friend's laptop to play games. He has a Compaq Presario 2100 series. CD Rom will install the game, which is an older game, so no new graphics issues. When he tries to play the game, however, it shuts down the laptop.
I have updated the laptop to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and 3. Updated Internet Explorer. Using AVG antivirus software. Scanned and removed all threats. Set the exceptions in the firewall to allow the game. Downloaded and installed the updated driver for Direct X. Still will not work. There was a program called Antivirus Pro 2009 which got into the hard drive and was causing some issues. I think I have it removed. AVG is running fine and shows all is secure.
It will play DVDs, but no music CDs or game CD. Any suggestions?