Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Laptop sees Network & Internet, "Unable to connect."

by JackVogel / June 11, 2013 12:16 PM PDT

I've got a Gateway M16 Laptop that is unable to connect to the internet. It sees wireless networks and says that it is connected to the internet, but neither Chrome, Firefox or Explorer can connect.

I've also tried connecting directly with a LAN line with no luck.

Thinking it was a bad network card I attempted a workaround by attaching a USB WiFi connector but this gave the same results, showing a network with an active internet connection, but no ability to connect with any program.

Any advice?

JackVogel has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop sees Network & Internet, "Unable to connect."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop sees Network & Internet, "Unable to connect."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by JackVogel

Collapse -
And with the basic out of the way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 1:39 AM PDT

Norton does this when it expires and there is malware we see that does this. ALL details are needed in order to avoid a lot of blind alleys.

But try the usual with NETSH RESET (add which version of Windows as I can't find it in your post.)
Bob

Collapse -
PS. When Norton expires you see this error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 5:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Norton was the culprit.
by JackVogel / June 20, 2013 10:44 AM PDT

Thanks. Uninstalling Norton solved my problem.

Collapse -
Good to read. My question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 11:40 AM PDT

How much does Norton tax us here? That is, I see folk get cut off the internet and Symantec's software does not announce it did the dirty deed. This is one of the two reasons I can't recommend their product.

Imagine how many folk end up at a repair counter and a big repair bill.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Might need to do this
by Jager67 / June 11, 2013 11:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
router not at fault, dns flush no effect
by JackVogel / June 20, 2013 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Might need to do this

The issue is with only one computer and that computer has the same problem with ALL networks, so it isn't the modem.

The DNS flush seems to have had no effect.

Collapse -
Print Screen Please
by Jager67 / June 20, 2013 1:38 AM PDT

If you can get a Print Screen of the Ipconfig /all... it will be alot easier to help you out

Collapse -
Also if you Print Screen the Device Manager
by Jager67 / June 20, 2013 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Print Screen Please

Goto start then run in run type mmc devmgmt.msc

Click on network adapters so i can see what brand might need to fix the driver

Collapse -
Answer
Re: connected to the Internet
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 11, 2013 11:24 PM PDT

- What exactly did it say when it said "I'm connected to the Internet"?
- Does ping work?
- Am I right to understand neither your browser nor ping work when connected wired (using an Ethernet-cable) to the router?

- What exactly is the error message in Internet Explorer?
- IE should offer a network diagnostic if it can't connect. What does it report?

- Can you share the full output of ipconfig /all (run it from the command prompt) both when connected wired and when connected wireless?

- Just to exclude the router as a source of the error: do other devices (your laptop, your iPad, your smartphone) work wireless?

Kees
Kees

Collapse -
Clarifications
by JackVogel / June 20, 2013 5:34 AM PDT

The laptop is running on Windows Vista.

By connected to the internet I mean that I can look at the Network and Sharing Center and see my computer connected to the network by a green line and the network connected to the Internet by a green line.

I have no idea if ping is working. I accessed it via the start menu, but it pops up and then disappears too fast to read the screen.

The exact message from IE.

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

A diagnostic gives the following: "Windows did not find any problems with this computer's network connection."

Ipconfig /all report http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y432/Jack_Vogel/IpconfigAll_zps8574dbbe.jpg
I can't get a wired connection at this time.

All other devices in the home work on this network AND I'm getting this same problem while using other wireless networks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.