Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

Question

Laptop screen stays black after sleep mode

by skhiggins927 / September 11, 2012 5:52 AM PDT

Hi everyone, definite tech neophyte here. I have a Toshiba Satellite U305-S7446, Windows Vista 6.0 (service pack 2) 32-bit.

My new problem, as of late, is that when I put my computer on sleep mode, when I open the computer back up I can hear the computer come off sleep mode and the power button stops blinking and turns blue, meaning the computer is on. However, the screen remains black. The only thing I've been able to do is to manually shut off my computer by holding down the power button and restart the computer. I played around with the power options, but still have the same problem no matter how my computer is put to sleep.

I saw in one post it was due to drives being out of date, but I just checked for updates on my disk drives and all are up to date. Another post mentioned the BIOS, but I am so not fluent in computer language that I got lost. Is there someone that can walk me through this in plain English? I am terrible with computers, so I need very explicit instructions. Help!!

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 5:55 AM PDT

I think that unless there are more clues there is no reason to install drivers. There are known causes such as adding some mouse drivers or other apps but it appears there are no clues about that in your post.

Given the lack of details and the fact that drivers do not wear out, it may be time to backup your stuff and restore it to the factory condition.
Bb

Collapse -
Answer
Sleep mode
by pgc3 / September 12, 2012 1:33 AM PDT

So what happens if you do NOT use sleep mode? What I mean is, if you disable sleep mode and use basic Windows shut down procedures, what is the effect? If all is normal, boot, shut down, etc. I would then suspect a system configuration issue and likely would follow Mr. Proffit's advice.

Collapse -
Re: sleep mode
by skhiggins927 / September 12, 2012 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Sleep mode

I tried a system restore to a point before I had this problem. All is working correctly again, but will back up just in case.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!