Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

Question

laptop screen dim

by makatoka / June 24, 2012 8:22 AM PDT

I own an HP laptop, model Pavillion g6. The screen is extremely dim, I can really only see the screen and icons when holding a flashlight to the screen. I connected the laptop to an external monitor, works perfectly, so video card should be ok. Checked all display properties, brightness, etc. Did my research, this is what I have done thus far:
1. Replaced LCD screen with new LCD screen, same result
2. Re-installed old screen again
the laptop do not have any inverter
3. Installed new LCD display cable, same result

2. - Could there be an error with the motherboard?
Is there any display fuse on the laptop motherboard? Not on the LCD!
ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop screen dim
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop screen dim
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
At the top of this forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop screen dim

Are posts about how to test the backlight. I can't tell if you own the right gear but if you don't it's time to consider letting HP fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
there is no warranty on this hp
by makatoka / June 25, 2012 6:14 PM PDT

there is no warranty on this hp

Collapse -
Re: no warranty
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 6:17 PM PDT

Bob didn't say "Let HP fix it free". He said "Let HP fix it". If there's no warranty you have to pay for it. Buying another laptop isn't free either. Your choice, based on a quote from a repair service.

Kees

Collapse -
I didn't mention a free fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 7:06 PM PDT

But given I'm seeing similar or better laptops for 399 here, I'd move slowly and get an estimate.
bob

Collapse -
Answer
Did youconnect it to an
by orlbuckeye / June 26, 2012 6:10 AM PDT

external monitor. If the display is fine to the external screen you can eliminate it being a mobo problem.

Collapse -
thank you.. I need my laptop
by makatoka / June 27, 2012 1:21 AM PDT

thank you.. I need my laptop

Collapse -
(NT) And that means?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 1:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
I have similar problem
by pmaczik / April 5, 2013 1:28 AM PDT

I have a HP pavilion dv9700t laptop screen problem that is very dark but can see shadows of the desktop.

When I turn on the computer and Windows starts up the laptop screen will turn on for one second. I can see the desk top fine and normal, it then goes back to being very dim. I think some people think when they have this problem and call it a black screen but it may not be. My screen is also black but if up shine a flash light on it you can see the desk top detail fine. It is just VERY dark. The brighting switch/mode does not efect it. I don't believe it is the lid switch because the lid is always open and not moved.

I can connect externally to TV ok. That tells me the graphic chip and drivers are ok.

I replaced the inverter and lamps with OEM parts. I tested them with my screen before final connect to the mother board and are ok.

I use the function F4 to switch between the TV and laptop display. The laptop will display for one second again and go very dim. That tells me the lamps are working and screen is okay.

I've done the pull battery and power down as some suggest with no luck.

I've went into the power option and set the display to never turn off plugged in or on battery mode.

I see on computer forum sites that others have had the dim screen problem but I haven't seen a solution yet. I am wonder if it might be a register glitch for the display, or a key board problem.
Anyone have the same scenario and found the problem?

one thing I should have done when this stated was to look and see if any updats were installed that might have a conflict with the graphic drivers. I've have re-installed previous display dirver with no luck, but is could be some other update that has caused the problem.

Collapse -
Let's say it's some update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: I have similar problem

Then using the restore media will push it all back to stock and you know to not accept updates next time.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!