Question

Laptop screen black till windows login

I am using a Dell Vostro 1510. On boot up, the laptop screen is completely blank but the display goes to the externally connected monitor. Once windows login screen comes up, the display switches to laptop screen and it works perfectly for as long as the laptop is on.

I ran the diagnostic test and I got the message:
Error Code: 2000-0321

Other posts on the net relate to the laptop screen not working at all - but, in my case the laptop screen works just fine post windows login.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Laptop screen black till windows login
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop screen black till windows login
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
If the diagnostic fails.

I head back to dell and ask them what to replace next. Sadly I think that's the motherboard.

Did you try the old remove the AC, the battery, hold the power button for 60 Seconds reset?
Bob

- Collapse -
I did talk to Dell

The tech support guy said that I needed to replace the screen and may be the inverter as well. However, I am not convenienced because once the laptop has booted up, there is absolutely no problem - i am experiencing this problem since 1 week and my laptop stays on 10hrs everyday and I have not had any other problem with the screen. BTW, the old power draining trick was the first thing that I tried - no luck.

My thinking is that I will wait till the screen shows more problems - as of now, seeing a black screen till windows login is not really preventing me from using my laptop.

Thanks!

- Collapse -
What power draining trick? I didn't write about one.

And are you saying this is 1 week old? And you are not letting them correct the problem?

This can't end well.
Bob

- Collapse -
It is a 2 years old laptop

Power Drain = remove the AC, the battery, hold the power button for 60 Seconds reset.

The machine is 2 years old - it is the problem that is 1 week old.

- Collapse -
Just so you know what this is.

It's a known method to reset some bios settings and get it "reset." If folk want to call it a power drain that's fine but it's important to get the steps down in an exact order.

It appears that you have some other advice about the power adapter. At 2 years it's likely to be out of any warranty including to double warranty some credit cards offer.

Let's hope the other advice is good. The price of repair beyond that is usually too much for folk to accept.

Then we have that simple issue about that external display. When we are working issues like this, we don't have such plugged in.
Bob

CNET Forums