Question

laptop screen

1/2 of my Dell Inspiron laptop screen has gone black. There is now a stripe down the middle , but all else appears to be working. Any ideas? One person suggested that the mother board is dying.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: laptop screen
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: laptop screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
No model number? Age, story?

I have little to work with here so I'll write that there are all of three parts at work here. Motherboard, some Dells have a video "card" (it's not like a desktop!) and the LCD.

Without more detail I can't offer a guess if it could be something else.

--> There is a SIMPLE test to see if it's the OS. Boot SAFE MODE.
Bob

- Collapse -
whoops sorry

Inspiron 6000, purchased in Oct. '05
the safe mode didn't improve anything, screen is 1/2 or more black

- Collapse -
Inredibly helpful.

Look at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/SM/index.htm and AMAZINGLY this appears to have a video card.

Try taking it out, wipe off the heat sink compound, put a little fresh compound on. Cleaning all the while you work on this, button it up and hope it's just some bad connection. At 6 years connections can fail and simple ONE DOLLAR reworking like this has helped.

Some write "what if I break it?" My answer is "It is broken so don't worry."

If that doesn't work, find another video card on ebay and hope.
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks

I'll try this and see. Thanks

CNET Forums