General discussion

Laptop running very slow - Windows 7

Dell Inspiron 1545
Windows 7
Internet Explorer

My laptop is suddenly loading pages really slow and taking forever.
What can I do to solve this problem. I am not a computer teckie.
thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Laptop running very slow - Windows 7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop running very slow - Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How Much RAM?

Unfortunately, you've not told us much.. What type of "loading pages" are you referring to? If you're talking about internet surfing, then tell us the type of internet connection your have. Tried testing your download speed to see if it's per specifications? (Type "bandwidth test" into Google and use one of the sites listed.

On Windows 7, 2 GB or more of RAM are needed, preferably double that even on a 32 bit system..

Tried using a different browser to see if it works better? Download and install the free Firefox browser from the link below. Firefox tends to load slower initially but is faster for loading websites.:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

If you haven't already, download, install, update, then run a full system scan with the free antimalware tools below. Delete anything it finds.

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Laptop running slow Windows 7

I have been travelling so sorry for late response.
I have DSL connection via my Cable company
My laptop has
64 bit 4.00Gb

I checked properties on C drive and it says
capacity 446 gbso far used is 56.9gb 389gb avail

I ran the SuperAntispyware & it found a trojan and ad tracking ware and deleted it all.
I have rerun the complete scan twice with SuperAntispyware since then and nothing has shown up
I ran a complete scan also with others I already have on my compputer Windows Defender, MalwareBytes & nothing

Web pages are loading slow pretty much on all pages including on firefox, also my email also opens slow. The other thing is that when I search Google the page not only loads slow but fades out white while loading

This all started happening a few weeks ago and I seem to remember it when Microsoft added Windows Essentials. So I uninstalled Windows Essentials and teh problem is still there.

- Collapse -
Since It Appears To Be An Internet Issue...

...please try re-initializing your modem/router like this: Turn OFF the computer, then turn OFF the router, then turn OFF the DLS modem, (if the router and modem are separate). Now wait ten minutes. Now turn ON the modem, wait two minutes for it to re-initialize, then turn ON the router (if it's separate from the modem), wait two minutes again, then turn ON the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
laptop -slow

Gif
thanks
i rest my preferences on Goggle and the White Fad is no longer there and pages are looading at a proper speed now. Weird. But happy it seems resolved. Thanmks for your guidance. You always give great advice.

I will keep an eye on it.

- Collapse -
Circumstances?

Your system maybe have recent MS updates. Thesze have been huge and for the moment could be effecting your system. As the other poster mentioned, when did all this happen and how if known. If it is the MS updates, then it should return OK after awhile. Otherwise, if malware at work here, visit the security, virus and malware forum for links for helpful pgms.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info