Computer Help forum

Question

Laptop running incredibly slowly / crashed by small programs

by MikeD86 / February 25, 2014 6:58 AM PST

I've had this laptop about a year now, it's a Dell Inspiron 15r (unfortunately I don't have the exact specs in front of me, writing this from school). A couple of months ago I was forced to reinstall windows 7 after some major boot up errors, so it's a pretty fresh install. Other than some basic programs (CCleaner, Defraggler, VLC, etc.), I've only loaded onto it Matlab and Creo 2.0, and a couple of lower resource games.

Performance had been lagging somewhat lately, but not enough to really concern me until last night when I was unable to even browse the internet without it crashing. I defragged, use ccleaner, rebooted, and checked all the drivers. No luck, still slow. After boot up (and waiting a few minutes to make sure it's finished) it took about 2-3 minutes to open Firefox. Opening the My Documents folder wasn't much quicker. Even watching videos that are loaded onto the computer will stall and eventually crash the computer a few minutes into the video.

Avast is running a virus scan right now, but I'm not expecting anything major from that. Barring some evil virus that I've somehow picked up, I'm stumped on what's going on. I suspect the hard drive is failing, and am hoping it's not the processor, but don't know enough about the hardware side of things to know what to look for if I open it up.

If anyone could provide any advice on where to proceed from here or assist me in figuring this out I would very much appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop running incredibly slowly / crashed by small programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop running incredibly slowly / crashed by small programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The other angle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 8:06 AM PST

Tell me about how often you use canned air.

And at home I have a Dell 15r. Installing Windows 7 is a PITA as I would have to do the usual driver hunt at Dell and then add Quickset and more.

Use Dell's recovery media as I am no longer convinced that everyday folk can install Windows proper today.
Bob

Collapse -
My first experience on CNET forums.
by MikeD86 / February 25, 2014 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: The other angle.

Wow condescending and insulting in the same post. Good job. I have all that info to avoid all of the "well did you defrag it" posts. So sorry if that goes against the etiquette here, I'm new. Also reinstalling windows isn't hard at all, and even easier if you have the foresight to backup your drivers to an external source first.

Collapse -
Not at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 1:18 PM PST

A little up front but questions I would like you to answer.

About driver backup. I've lost count how poorly that worked. I'm going to call it out as junk. Try doing this install in a supported manner or well, I'm going to insult you I bet, don't complain it didn't work well.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.