PC Hardware forum

Laptop restarting in loop

by Cabrunko / January 9, 2015 5:10 AM PST

Hello, everybody! Good day!

Well, my laptop (Samsung NP300E4C-AD2BR model) came with windows 8, from the store. Over time it began to get very slow and, as I wanted to be back to windows 7 since I bought it, this was the trigger.

I Knew I had to go into recovery mode in order to access the SETUP and then disable secure boot and switch to CSM OS. That's what I did. Besides having changed the boot device priority to the USB (USB stick for installation). All done!

Restarted the laptop, I can boot from USB stick, however, while installing there is a message saying that the installation is not possible because the disc is in GPT format. I knew only that one case could install cleaning the disc. Okay, I started the diskpart program and did it. Beauty.

When restarted the laptop to try again, I tried to enter SETUP to review if all settings was right, however, was not possible. It booted on the USB stick, but, however, was not possible access neither SETUP nor in recovery mode (as said in the options on the screen itself). I removed the stick and tried again, unsuccessfully. But this time, the laptop was restarting in loop without stopping - unless the power was interrupted, but if I tried again, the problem persisted.

Well, "I will take a clear CMOS", I thought. I opened the laptop, I removed the battery and, after a while, I put it in its place again. I turned on and realized that the information "press F2 to F4 BIOS or for the recovery" was gone (as before have changed the secure boot). Even so, the laptop still had the problem. I saw that in his board had a written contacts RESET, BIOS CRISIS and debug. I closed the contacts of the first two, but nothing happened.

I tried using the Ubuntu live CD, I tried DVD drive instalation, but nothing worked! It even takes longer to restart when it is with a DVD inside the drive, but then restarts again and enters the loop.

Youtube has a video of a guy with the same problem. If it helps, the video is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n69f5EloEKA

Well, folks, that's all I can do and I've tried. Nothing worked. Something happened that I do not know how to solve. I hope, humbly, you can help me.

I need your help. I am VERY grateful for the attention!

Thiago, C.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop restarting in loop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop restarting in loop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Since Windows 7 was never released on USB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2015 9:24 AM PST

It appears your method is not supported.

All Answers

Collapse -
I'd go back to 8
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2015 6:04 AM PST

And be sure it's Samsung's issued OS recovery used. Then you can install Classic Start to get your start bar back.

Collapse -
(NT) Take Bob's advice-going backward from 8 a very bad idea :-(
by wpgwpg / January 9, 2015 8:50 AM PST
Collapse -
by Cabrunko / January 9, 2015 5:55 PM PST

I understand, but the problem is now I can't do anything. I tried any media ans nothing worked, unfortunately, even the Windows 8 installation.

But I'm very glad about your responses, guys. You're amazing!

Thank you!

Collapse -
Tell more about media.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2015 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Alright

Some folk get stuck like this because they loathe ordering up the maker's restore media. That's OK, to get the machine back online and surfing we always have linux.

PS. As to CSM, yes, I've done that move but the Windows 7 from USB is odd and I've seen it fail for folk far too often.

Collapse -
PS. Continued.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2015 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: Tell more about media.

PS. I forgot to note that Windows 7 USB install may not work from USB 3.0 ports and again is treacherous.

Collapse -
About the medias
by Cabrunko / January 11, 2015 8:17 PM PST
In reply to: Tell more about media.

I tried these: CD (for Windows XP), DVD (for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Ubuntu) and flash drive (for Windows 7). Nothing worked.

Again, I'm glad about your responses! Thank you!

Collapse -
Then it's
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: About the medias

1. A laptop that needs repair.
2. Or there's something fishy/odd about the CD/DVDs. (Folk try those cracked versions too often.)
3. The laptop only can run the factory version OS. Don't laugh, the office had one like that!

Collapse -
Since it is....
by Cabrunko / January 13, 2015 6:52 PM PST
In reply to: Then it's

Alright. Thank you! You all guys helped me and I appreciate it.
The problem must be one of these, surely. In addition I read the problem can be the motherboard's ROM.

If I can figure something out I'll notice you all.

Again, thank you!

Collapse -
check with the Ubuntu forums
by James Denison / January 13, 2015 11:17 PM PST

They can walk you through this. I suspect one problem is you tried to use a 32 bit version of windows on the windows 8 computer. Wrong move, you should ONLY use a 64 bit version that is EFI aware on such computer.

Normally you'd turn off the Fast boot in W8 so it won't keep reloading from a hibernation file, so it will always do a cold boot instead. Next you turn off Fast Boot and use Legacy/CSM mode in the BIOS. Third you set the first boot device to CD or DVD and the second boot device to USB and the hard drive as the third boot device. At that point you can boot into the Ubuntu DVD.

Consult this tutorial, works same for Ubuntu as for Mint.

If you were only going to use Linux, then the GPT method on disc can be converted back to MBR type of boot and partition tables, but only if the drive is less than 16TB for Linux only, or less than 4TB if a windows is to be loaded to it also as a dual boot. It involves using a utility for that, although most Linux users would just use the "dd" command to wipe the first megabyte or two on the drive, then set up as the older standard MBR instead.

Computers with the UEFI BIOS are the only ones that respect the "protective MBR" that is used as a dummy MBR on the GPT type discs. While that protects the GPT drive better on such computers as yours, the GPT type drive setup is just as vulnerable as MBR drive on older computers with a standard BIOS, although they will work.

You can read on MBR and GPT each on their wikipedia page and understand it better.

There are youtube videos on how to install ubuntu on windows 8 computers with UEFI BIOS.

Secure an ubuntu 64 bit OS on DVD or USB flashdrive, run the "check integrity" at the bootup screen (may need to press Tab to get that screen, to be sure you got a good download of the ISO and a good burn to the DVD or USB drive. Boot then to the Ubuntu LIVE and if you don't want windows but just the Ubuntu, allow it to do the full install and it will install to the GPT drive. If you find later you need a windows, even w8 later, you can install it into virtualbox and use it there, since the Linux syst em wouldbe the host and can usually be run as host using only 500-600 of the RAM.

I run windows 10 as a guest system in a virtual box with Linux as host and have no problems doing so. I check my system monitor program to determine the amount RAM needed to be left for Linux, and then the rest (minus shared to video RAM) is available for the guest windows 10, so it can be done successfully. There are advantages to such because I can create a complete copy of the virtual drive for windows 10 and save it to a backup, and easier than using windows backup systems.

Here w10 is as guest inside Virtual Box program under Mint Linux 17, working quite well.

Collapse -
What a answer!
by Cabrunko / January 14, 2015 6:09 PM PST

Hey, thank you about your response.

You explained some points I had not thought of. SURELY I'll follow your tips as well. You opened a new hope.
I'm so glad about your response and I'm serious right now.

I certainly used a 32 bit version. I'll try it out.

Thank you again!

Collapse -
I did it!
by Cabrunko / January 14, 2015 11:05 PM PST

Thank YOU, James Denison!

After unsuccessful attempts I did it! I just followed your tip! Computer is fine now due to you!
I appreciate the other guy's actions.
In the end, the problem was so simple to solve...

I just wanted to change a x64 version to a x86 version and I didn't pay attention to this VERY important detail!

Again, thank you guys! Thank you James Denison!

Collapse -
I can feel your joy and glad for you!
by James Denison / January 15, 2015 2:13 PM PST
In reply to: I did it!

Happy Linux!!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?