Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Laptop Reinstall Issues

by Deni2 / October 15, 2007 4:54 AM PDT

I have recently deleted my XP partition and attempted reinstalling XP due to degrading performance. Yes I took that way out. While installing, or often before, the power randomly cuts off with no warning at random places. Last time I did this I just had to keep trying all night until one time it worked long enough to install. Now I want to fix this can anyone please help me?

CPU/Ram: 1GB+
Manufacturer/Model: Compaq

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Reinstall Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Reinstall Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this a power supply issue?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 5:28 AM PDT

You say the power cuts off. Do you mean the computer justs shuts down without warning? Is it plugged in to mains electricity at the time?

If so, what about the rest of the mains supply in the house/building where you are, does that stay on or does that go off as well?

Check your mains supply lead is plugged into the computer properly and check the plug. Make sure the Power Supply Unit is working properly.

If not plugged in, are the batteries charging properly?

Mark

Collapse -
Not that I can see...
by Deni2 / October 15, 2007 5:39 AM PDT

Randomly no warning at all yes. I tried different plugs and made sure it was in good. Oddly enough last time this happened when it finished installing it had no issues at all. It's constantly plugged in, I've even tried it without batteries due to a suggestion but that failed too.

Collapse -
So it isn't the mains supply?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Not that I can see...

You need to be clear. You are saying it is not the mains supply from the socket?

I would test that power supply unit, swap it over with another one and see if there is any improvement.

Mark

Collapse -
Confirmed
by Deni2 / October 15, 2007 5:50 AM PDT

Doesn't seem to be from the socket, whether it's plugged in or on a full battery it just shuts off during installation.

Collapse -
Tell us about the age and maintenance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Confirmed

That shutoff is common with 1+ year old laptops that don't get their yearly cleaning.

Bob

Collapse -
Olddd
by Deni2 / October 15, 2007 8:13 AM PDT

It's almost two years old, never had any problems with it, mostly just when I'm reinstalling windows. Someone told me to run a RAM test and stuff but I'm not sure how to do all that stuff.

Collapse -
Time to clean it up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Olddd
Collapse -
Another possibility?
by Deni2 / October 16, 2007 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Time to clean it up.

I think it is power management issues, since even if I'm not reinstalling my OS and just leave it after some time it shuts off. Yet last time once the drivers were installed it never had another issue until now. Any way I can do anything about that with no existing OS?

Collapse -
Any way I can do anything about that with no existing OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Another possibility?

Sorry but without an OS why would I turn the machine on?

Bob

Collapse -
Reinstalling
by Deni2 / October 16, 2007 1:25 AM PDT

Trying to reinstall it but it keeps shutting off after some time. So theres no way to configure power options or anything without already having it installed? Guess I'm back to trying and trying until it gets through.

Collapse -
I think you need to look again at Bob's suggestion
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstalling
Collapse -
Tried
by Deni2 / October 16, 2007 5:08 AM PDT

Opened, cleaned, bought and attached an outside cooler, as well as put it by a fan.

Still failed, I still don't get how it works fine once windows is installed but hardly works while installing...

Collapse -
Next up. What's not stock?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 5:21 AM PDT

Many times I run into this issue when USB things are plugged in or memory (RAM) has been added.

Go back to it's stock setup and then try the Restore CD. Remember that your retail CDs can be trouble.

Bob

Collapse -
Laptop issue.
by davmax / October 16, 2007 12:51 PM PDT

Your laptop switches off.
1. Try removing and re-installing any memory modules in that an intermittent contact may have occurred.
2. This characteristic can often be caused by the ageing of electrolytic capacitors, usually those involved in the switching power supply for the processor. The aging occurs after a number of years and depends on the hours of operation per day and the internal temperature. The higher the internal temp the sooner this fault will develop. This is a difficult problem in that it means dismantling the laptop. Try this site that deals with cap failure.
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?