Laptops forum

Question

Laptop Recommendation - how much do I need to spend?

by BostonDan / May 13, 2015 2:10 AM PDT

Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping there are others in my situation that can offer advice and suggestions. I work from home and I'm looking to buy a second laptop for the purpose of working outside from time-to-time. My current laptop screen doesn't do well outside. Does anyone have recommendations on a laptop with the following characteristics:
1) Windows based - the only apps I really need are Evernote, OneNote, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
2) Approximately 13" screen capable of being viewed outside.
3) Lightweight and with 6+ hours of battery life
4) Low cost - I'd like to keep it under $500 if I can, but any thoughts on what I should expect to pay?
In advance, thanks for suggestions. - Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Recommendation - how much do I need to spend?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Recommendation - how much do I need to spend?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Need more about "outside."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2015 2:20 AM PDT

While my wife traveled with a single cheap Asus x200ca that I popped in a SSD, when outside it was never in sunlight or a very bright patio condition.

Not one sunlight readable laptop is under 500 unless you find some used old Toughbook that had that.
http://diydrones.com/group/apmusergroup/forum/topics/looking-for-best-laptop-screen-to-see-in-the-sun pegs sunlight readable laptops about 4000 USD.

-> Battery life? Are you really sure you can afford it? Most batteries are 300 cycle things that in a year of daily use you can wear it out. Most folk use the ABC (always be charging) method.

Not only that, the battery time would plummet to drive the common LCD to overcome the sunlight. Figure a 6+ hour laptop will drop by about 3X to 2+ hours to deal with the increased output.

Sorry, no one has found such a laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Forgot to add this link. Great treatment about outdoors.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2015 2:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
an umbrella is cheaper
by James Denison / May 13, 2015 3:23 AM PDT

keeps the sunlight off the screen.

Collapse -
Wait for it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2015 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: an umbrella is cheaper

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!