Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop question

by KarenElissa / July 7, 2007 4:54 AM PDT

So, I just bought my nice new laptop at Christmas and then someone stole it while I was on vacation. GRR!! And not I have to buy a new one, but of course they don't have the exact same one I had any more, much less for the same price.

I'm pretty much set on Dell. I've loved both Dells I've had.

Unless someone has a VERY convincing reason, I don't want Windows Vista.

I don't know what kind of processor I want. The one that was stolen was an Intel, but right now all the AMD ones are substantially cheaper. I use it mostly for internet, music, watching DVDs and online video, and quite a bit of photo editing. Will and AMD one be ok or not?

Also, from what I understand 1gb RAM is good for XP, but if I end up having to get Vista, I would want 2gb right?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are right...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2007 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop question

Here's my prescription for Vista. 2GB RAM, ANY of the dual core CPUs and for gamers the 256MB dedicated video RAM. With XP, the 1GB seemed to do just fine for everyone.

If you want XP you can have it by looking on their BUSINESS offerings since no company is ready to sacrifice their biz division yet.

Bob

Collapse -
l
by KarenElissa / July 7, 2007 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: You are right...

So then you think this processor would be fine? Even for Vista?

AMD Turion? 64 X2 Dual-Core processor TL-50 (512KB/1.6GHz)

And ya, I've looked all over the business side too, but they don't have the new computers in pretty colors. Happy

I just tried to compare pretty much the same computer on the business side and the home side, it came out $40 cheaper on the business side, but the home computer had a bigger hard drive and I think something else was better over there, and of course the pretty colors. Happy

ATI RADEON

Collapse -
Nice. But are you a gamer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2007 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: l

If you can give me a link to the machine that would be great.

As to the CPU, yes, that runs just fine. I like the Core 2 Duo but I can take the X2 too.

Bob

Collapse -
re
by KarenElissa / July 7, 2007 7:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Pretty good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2007 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: re

" AMD Graphics Options
Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 1270 with HyperMemoryTM (64MB dedicated local frame buffer) "

This is pretty good stuff. You won't be playing the latest first person shooter at top speed but almost all games should run.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by KarenElissa / July 8, 2007 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Pretty good.

Thanks for the help! And now to just wait for my insurance company to figure out how much money they are going to give me so I can actually buy it!

Collapse -
ATI RADEON
by planepilot3838 / July 8, 2007 3:08 PM PDT

does anyone know if it will run BF2 or BF2142? Also Quake 4 too.

Collapse -
by planepilot3838 / July 8, 2007 3:11 PM PDT
In reply to: ATI RADEON

i just bought this laptop today, and im just wondering if my games will run on it. thanksss.

Collapse -
Yes, it ran (poorly)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2007 10:45 PM PDT

This is at the bottom of 3D performance and you have selected games that demand a lot. You'll want to avoid this chipset for BF. Quake 4 at low settings however should be fine.

Bob

Collapse -
laptop
by planepilot3838 / July 11, 2007 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, it ran (poorly)

my current desktop has a nVidia Geforce FX5900. It runs BF ok... will this at least run it?

Collapse -
The fx5900 is many times faster than the 6150.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2007 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop

Here's how I compare the 5000 to the 6000 series. Drop the thousands off the model to see how they rank on average. If there was a 6900 that would be comparable to your 5900.

BF would run on a 6150 (people have told me it does) but it's performance is such that people do return this grade of laptop.

Bob

Collapse -
whered the 6150 come from?
by planepilot3838 / July 12, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

I'm talking about the ATI Radeon 2700 Hypermemory or whatever. Will it at least run BF2 on wayy low settings?

Collapse -
ah, its the 1270
by planepilot3838 / July 12, 2007 11:14 AM PDT

the 1270 HyperMemory i mean.

Collapse -
I used it as a comparison to your 5900.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2007 11:31 AM PDT

Some think that the higher numbers in the Nvidia line are automatically faster.

Your ATI will run that game, I don't have a ready link to answer "how well."

Bob

Collapse -
phew!
by planepilot3838 / July 14, 2007 2:22 PM PDT

that is all i needed to know! is that it will run that game. because right now, i can only play it at my dad's house on my desktop and its my all time favorite game so i was wondering if i made a mistake in ordering the 1521 instead of the 1520. i am so happy that it will run, i dont care how well or not, im just glad it will run!

thanks for your help and im sorry i got confused =P

Collapse -
ATI RADEON
by rrs42 / October 9, 2007 3:28 AM PDT

I'm considering a Dell 1521 that appears to have integrated ATI RADEON

Collapse -
Frankly. If Dell won't answer this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 4:02 AM PDT

Don't buy it. Keep shopping (since support has fallen to an all time low.)

Bob

Collapse -
Upgrades?
by planepilot3838 / December 23, 2007 11:01 AM PST

Is it possible to upgrade from the 1270 to an actual card not an integrated "hunk-o-junk"?

Again, I'm on a Dell Inspiron 1521.

Thanks

Collapse -
Just repeating the prior answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2007 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrades?

No. There are no known laptops that offer a way to upgrade onboard video solutions (that is GMA, Intel, etc) to 3D Chipsets that you need to run games.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by planepilot3838 / December 23, 2007 12:10 PM PST

thanks Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!