Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Purchase

by Spire VII / May 27, 2007 5:15 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Purchase
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Purchase
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
#1 has 128MB video RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Purchase

Could be a little slow on games.
#2 is a Sony. Almost impossible to load XP.
#3 would be my choice.

Bob

Collapse -
Laptop
by Spire VII / May 28, 2007 10:03 AM PDT

Anyone else have any recommendations?

Collapse -
Either the HP or the ASUS
by jmhal / May 28, 2007 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Purchase

Well the first thing you have to choose is whether you want vista or not.The HP is lighter, has a higher resolution screen, xp professional,SD card slot, finger print reader and a longer warranty. The ASUS has a 20 GB larger HDD, express card slot (HP had the older PC card slot), DVI, and a webcam, and its cheaper. The graphics cards are nearly identical with the ASUS's being slightly better.
If you have the money and the stuff I listed under the ASUS are not essentials then go with the HP. HP's business line has excellent build quality, many claim the best, and will last many years. But I'm still not sold on Vista and simply being 1/2 pound lighter and the high res screen would be worth it IMHO.
However if you are on a budget and aren't willing to part with those 300 extra dollars the ASUS is still an excellent choice and a good deal, I paid around the same for my laptop last September and the ASUS would certainly beat it. Also keep in mind that 1GB of RAM is not that much in Vista where in XP its sufficient.

Collapse -
Of those 3
by orlbuckeye / May 29, 2007 1:11 AM PDT

I would choose the Asus also but looking at the prices differences in the 3 systems you listed you could even select the more powerfull Asus G1 (which available at Newegg and cheaper than the Sony). But if battery life is real important to you the Asus in your list may be a better pick for you.

Collapse -
One thing about the PC Card versus the Express card is
by orlbuckeye / May 29, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

some devices are available in express card format yet although they are slowly hitting the market. I had a friend that went to Best Buy to get a laptop and he told the salesman he wanted a pc that would world with his aircard. Well the one the salesman picked out had and express card and his card was the old PC card. He returned the laptop and they tried to charge him a restocking fee but argued with them and they fianlly gave in. The good news is though is Cingular now has an Express card aircard available but that doesn't help the ones that have the old PC cards because they still would have to purchase the new card.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.