Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Processors

by jdo3 / May 5, 2012 12:45 AM PDT

So I'm looking into getting a new laptop, and am faced with a decision. I hate decisions. I can never decide and stick with it without thinking I made a wrong choice. So basically, its narrowed down to this:

Intel Core i5 or AMD Phenom II X2 or X3.

Which one is better, and what are the pro's and con's of each? From my research, the Phenom computers are cheaper than the i5's, but are just a bit below in performance and overall quality. Does anyone else have any input that can help?

Thanks, because this will really help me out!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Processors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Processors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reply re Laptop Processors
by EducatedConsumer10000 / May 5, 2012 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Processors

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><font face="Calibri"><font size="3">Hello.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> I can provide
some basic information that may help answer your question.<?xml:namespace prefix =" o" ns =" "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"" /><o:p></o:p></font></font>
</font><font face="Calibri"><font size="3">I am not a technical expert in computer processing technology;
however through my work and personal hobbies, I have hands on experience using
both products.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Big picture, I prefer
Intel processors.<o:p></o:p></font></font>
</font><font size="3"><font face="Calibri">In general many AMD products beat Intel in the area of raw
speed.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> However, Intel products are much
more efficient at processing data and information through the pipeline(s) of
the processor.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> The result is what I
would call a "premium" feel to the user experience.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> I realize "premium" is subjective,
but put it this way; the Intel vs. AMD argument is akin to comparing two mashed
potato recipes.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Recipe number one is
strictly homemade, using the finest of ingredients (Idaho potatoes, farm fresh
cream, home grown garlic, etc.).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> All
ingredients are carefully blended in to a smooth, rich mixture that melts in
your mouth.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Recipe number two comes from
a box found on the shelf at your local grocery store.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Throw the powdered potatoes, some water, and milk into a bowl and mix for a minute or two.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Both are actually very yummy.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> However, the strictly homemade recipe just
seems to have an edge over the wham bam thank you man version.</font></font>
<font size="3"><font face="Calibri"><o:p>Intel = Homemade Potatoes</o:p></font></font>
<font size="3"><font face="Calibri"><o:p>AMD = Boxed Potatoes</o:p></font></font>
</font>

Collapse -
Here it is the i5
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2012 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Processors

We use Visual Studio and on our Dells the i5 wins. If budget is the issue, you won't care about this.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.