Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Laptop problem w/wireless internet

by dgoodall / September 15, 2006 4:24 AM PDT

I came home from a business trip yesterday and my laptop (IBM Thinkpad w/Windows XP)won't connect to the internet. I have a wireless network set up (D-Link), with a hard-connected PC and my son's Gateway laptop. Everything was working fine when I left, and my laptop worked fine at the hotels and airport yesterday. Now it won't connect, although the pc and my son's laptop are having no problems. I paid for the airport wireless connection yesterday - could that have reset or screwed something up in my settings?

I've tried everything I can think of and am at my wit's end. On the task bar, it says I have an excellent connection, but when I open the wireless networks, it says "not connected". I've tried the Windows "repair" button, but it says it can't connect.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop problem w/wireless internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop problem w/wireless internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by amirkhan770 / September 15, 2006 5:27 AM PDT

There are a number of things to try

1 - disable and re-enble your wireless network card
2- some Laptops have a manual turn on/off wireless
3- on the keyboard there maybe a symbol for the wifi, press it and see
4- check to see if you are getting a valid IP address,
if it anything like 169.254.xx.xx then this is a self assigned IP address, you need to look at your browser settings
5- Also check your router settings

Collapse -
IP address?
by dgoodall / September 15, 2006 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: wifi

Thanks for your reply. When I go into IBM Access Connections/Connection Status, it says "IP Adress Not Assigned". Shouldn't there be one there and if so, how do I get it? Also under Diagnostic Tools, the IP Address shows as

I am obviously not an expert on this :). Just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Collapse -
by dgoodall / September 15, 2006 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: IP address?

The profile I'm using is set to obtain an IP address automatically...

Collapse -
WiFi problem
by Bruceice / September 15, 2006 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Also...

try going to start>connect to>... or control panel and then network connections and view your wireless adapter, right click on it and go to Properties. On the tab at the top, click the ine that says "Wireless Networks" and check the box that says "Use windows..."
If there is a native router on it click on it to select and this should at least help you connect.
If that doesnt work then using a thumb drive you can copy the network settings from the wireless laptop that works and then using it on your laptop.
Hope this helps

Collapse -
by dgoodall / September 15, 2006 7:43 AM PDT

Problem fixed! Yay!! For whatever reason, Windows had decided to "forget" my WEP key (even though I had already tried once going in and reentering it). Anyway, problem solved.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?