Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Laptop problem, cutting out. PLEASE HELP.

by Casper96 / September 8, 2014 12:55 AM PDT

hey guys i have an emachines e520 laptop with 2gb ram and 250 gb hdd.

my problem is that the laptop will cut off after about 5 seconds.i have tested for overheating and replaced all the hardware.

i was told to replace the cmos battery which i did and found that it would then work for about 30 mins with the ram and hard drive removed.

what is the problem with this laptop?

i was then told that i would need to update my bios to stop these cut outs, but how can i do that when it keeps turning off?

Please help i need this laptop for school.

Casper96 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop problem, cutting out. PLEASE HELP.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop problem, cutting out. PLEASE HELP.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Casper96

Collapse -
Since you replaced all the hardware
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 1:03 AM PDT

Then one or more of the pieces are still bad. The cmos battery and such isn't much of a clue but after replacing all the hardware I'm sure you're too invested in this one to give up.

There are 3 basic parts such as motherboard battery and charger and we can do without the big battery so I'd get the folk that supplied your new mainboard to get you another one.
Bob

Collapse -
laptop
by Casper96 / September 8, 2014 1:19 AM PDT

the battery makes no difference with the problem, i have tried.sorry about the vote thing im kinda new

Collapse -
I think I wrote that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop

In about 99.99% of laptops we can go without the big main battery so it's usually down to wall adapter and motherboard on the failure you noted.

Since you replaced everything you likely have 2 chargers so the chance of 2 bad ones is slim. But there are a lot of bad motherboards out there so that's my pick here.
Bob

Collapse -
laptop
by Casper96 / September 8, 2014 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: I think I wrote that.

the adapter works in my other laptop, and the motherboard works when the ram and hdd are removed.

Collapse -
What good is a motherboard without RAM and HDD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 2:05 AM PDT

And I've taken your word that you replaced everything. Since both or more motherboards failed, it's still a part that is the most suspect.
Bob

Collapse -
laptop
by Casper96 / September 8, 2014 2:07 AM PDT

i will test the different components on the motherboard as you suggest. however it doesnt make much sense as the laptop motherboard works on its own.

i will also test more hard drives and ram, i have bucket loads.

Collapse -
I'm beginning to feel you left out some detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 2:13 AM PDT

This reply makes me think you didn't replace all components after all. These value machines (read http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-eMachines-E520.15219.0.html to find out more) tend to last 2 to some years then something fails. I took your work you replaced all parts and with this post I have to guess you didn't replace the most common failed part.
Bob

Collapse -
laptop
by Casper96 / September 8, 2014 2:16 AM PDT

i replaced the cmos battery,ram and hdd with a replacement of ebay. what makes you unsure?

Collapse -
That cleared it up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 2:17 AM PDT

Your top post wrote all parts. Now that you have other bad parts to replace it's shop shop shop and go for it.

There are some folk that think motherboards can be fixed. Well, it's so rare that I have to write no.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by Casper96 / September 8, 2014 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: That cleared it up.

thanks for your help,
i will be buying a new motherboard soon.
hope it works.

Collapse -
Be sure to ask about returns.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

And most folk just sell it off on Ebay at this age and failure.

About the CMOS battery. At times I run into computer repair techs without Volt meters. Just want to be clear that we can't do without that.
Bob

Collapse -
what??
by Casper96 / September 8, 2014 2:26 AM PDT

what do you mean?

Collapse -
Answer
Break it down a little
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 11:02 AM PDT

I wrote about the Volt meter and once in a while you bump into folk that are trying to avoid the gear it takes to do repair. Without a Volt meter there is so much chance. Then again, folk sometimes get lucky.
Bob

Collapse -
break it down a little
by Casper96 / September 8, 2014 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Break it down a little

I tested the laptop again this morning. i found that it booted quite far with my win 7 usb, it was quite nail biting but cut out right at the end.

i discovered that the charging led flashed oddly after cutting out. what is that?

Do you think i should check the cmos again?

Collapse -
Still sounds like there are bad parts in the laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: break it down a little

Since the charging circuit is on the motherboard in most models (today, almost all) it points to a motherboard fault.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) so do you think i should test the cmos
by Casper96 / September 8, 2014 11:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
laptop
by Casper96 / September 8, 2014 11:47 PM PDT

(UPDATE) it no longer works with things unplugged. I think i fancy my chances selling it to some 12yr old and buying a new one. I totaly appreciate your help R.proffitt (Bob).

Collapse -
That's what the Volt Meter can help with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 11:53 PM PDT

As an example, the common CR2032 should be just over 3 Volts. My criteria is it must be over 3 Volts. 3.00 and lower and I get a fresh one from stores.
Bob

Collapse -
laptop
by Casper96 / September 9, 2014 12:25 AM PDT

ok, will do. what would happen if you were to remove one and leave it out. would the laptop even boot.
i have heard that when your cmos battery is faulty it doesnt oot. however when i was replacing mine i tested for curiosity and it did boot up.

Collapse -
i think you should check this out. it says your right
by Casper96 / September 9, 2014 12:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Can't tell, why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2014 12:33 AM PDT

Some do and some don't. And even those that did, may stop varying with which BIOS version. Since it's just a simple Voltage reading and a dollar part I don't see why I would be doing this any other way but to make the reading and replace if out of bounds.
Bob

Collapse -
weird
by Casper96 / September 9, 2014 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't tell, why?

I have replaced it, dony worry. but it intereseted me that even though all computers have the same needed parts in order to work, thay have different solutions and responses

Collapse -
But did you measure it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2014 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: weird

With all the carp from China I find a dead or low battery in almost every batch.

Think of a master chef without a measuring cup. I guess they could, but repeating success would be by chance.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.