Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Power Trouble

by szeigler / September 9, 2005 11:28 PM PDT

I have a Compaq 12XL510A manufactured in 2001(OS Windows ME, 128MB RAM, 800 MHz, 40 GB HDD, CD/DVD player) that recently stopped powering up. I had had some problems with it powering down unexpectedly, and a problem restarting it, as even the adapter light went out when the machine powered down itself. I had to unplug the AC adapter, replug it in, wait for the adapter light to come on, and press the power button. After a few times of this I actually had to manipulate the AC adapter plug a bit to get the adapter light to come up, then use the power up button to start the machine. This last time, I tried the same old routine to no avail. If I did get the adapter light to come on, when I hit the power button, all the buttons would flash as usual, I'd get the Compaq screen, then all the lights and the screen went off; in other words, the machine just shut down. If I press really hard on the power plug, and straight back, I can get the adapter light to go on, but then when pressure is released the light goes off and I cannot power the machine up with the power button. It may be a more serious situation, as I cannot power the laptop up via the battery, which appeared to be fully charged, but obviously isn't.

I think there is a loose connection within the adapter port. I assume this is soldered to the mobo so repair might be possible. If not, is there anyway I can get the data from the hard drive? Can the hard drive be removed and the data retrieved somehow? There isn't much as I did a complete save of my files to some zip disks, but I did not have a chance to back up my emails before it died---that was the task of the moment. Any advice is much appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Power Trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Power Trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Methods I use to get the data out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Power Trouble

The first one is my favorite.

1. A 2.5 to 3.5 inch IDE drive adapter. These run under 5 bucks from geeks.com, newegg.com or other places. Just put it in a desktop and get the files.

2. An USB 2.0 drive enclosure. Not as good as number 1 in my book, but can be a solution.

Bob

Collapse -
Methods I use to get the data out
by szeigler / September 13, 2005 11:40 AM PDT

Bob,

But.....I can't get my system to power up at all. Is it possible to remove the HDD and slave it to something? Would either of the solutions you propose work with a dead box? I hadn't considered it possible to access the data without the computer being up and running.

Collapse -
An external enclosure or whatever he said...
by xtuser / September 13, 2005 12:23 PM PDT

Those two things make your hard drive look like an external hard drive, or like a big USB drive, that you can then put into any computer. So, just take the hard drive out *cough* static bracelet *cough* from the bottom(probably) of your computer, put it in the external enclosure or use the cable, and then plug it into your new computer. Wow!

Oh, and I suggest using an external enclosure because then, you can use your drive as an external hard drive.

Collapse -
re
by stewart6 / September 13, 2005 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Power Trouble

Hi. If you have stuff on your hard drive that you don't want to lose, you can pick op a USB external drive box that you can put your drive in and transfer the files to any computer that has a USB port. These boxes can be picked up on EBay for less than the cost of postage. I find these boxes to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Good luck Stewart

Collapse -
Yeah, I agree!
by xtuser / September 13, 2005 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: re

Those external enclosures are really cool! When you grow out of a computer, just buy an enclosure $20 on newegg, and now you can use that as an external hard drive, to store your stuff on. You can never have enough space!

Collapse -
Yeah, I agree!
by szeigler / September 13, 2005 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, I agree!

OK, now I understand. I didn't realize these were available.

Thanx gents!

Collapse -
Yeah, I agree!
by szeigler / February 21, 2006 2:27 AM PST

Okay, I finally got around to asking about the external covers, etc. from shops around here and some vendors on the internet. I explained the issue and they had no idea what I was talking about! But, then, my degree of technical expertise is such that I probably could not articulate technically what I wanted to do. At any rate, and in summary, since the problem with the laptop is an electrical power plug issue, in order to retrieve the data off the laptop in question, I have to:

1. Remove the HDD from the laptop;

2. Put it into some device, which I'm still sketchy about what it is and what it is called;

3. Get an external enclosure for protection of the HDD and whatever device it is hooked up to;

4. Hook up this (now external) HDD to my computer via a USB cable, and treat it as an extra external drive.

Right?

Another issue to this procedure. My old laptop HDD OS is Windows ME. The coputer to which I plan to hook it up has Windows XP as the OS. Am I sexual intercoursed? I need some help really quickly as all my income tax info and tax programs are on the laptop HDD. I need to do this year's taxes ASAP and all the past data is on the laptop HDD. I assume I can still retrieve it and make it work with my 2005 tax program (TurboTax) as in the past.

I did go to a computer repair facility today and they told me it would cost over $200.00 to get the HDD and data. Fixing the power problem would be about $400. I'm getting near the end of my rope, and am considering a noose.

Steve Z.

Collapse -
Adapter, data backup ect.
by djeve / February 22, 2006 9:49 AM PST

First off sorry if this looks long but it should help you a lot.

I will let you know I've done this enough to know that sometimes the drive is spinning but not readable. If it's not readable your data will not be able to be removed this way. You'll have to go to a company and pay ALOT of money to recover. This is just a heads up to let you know you could hook it up and find you won?t be able to pull anything off your drive. This is the one that I use (there are other better looking ones out there, but they all do the same thing)? http://www.buyextras.com/2hadrto3hadr.html

I did a search for "notebook hard drive adapter" on Google and got a lot of pages. If you have a Fry?s (or some sort of "has everything" computer shop)near you, you could get one there for about $10. There are a bunch of different styles but they essentially do the same thing, making it possible to connect your HD to your Desktop. All you need is an available Molex connection (power) and available IDE connection.

For removal of your HD....
Usually there will be a small label next to it on the bottom of your system. Usually one would remove one or two screws to take them out (there are some systems where the HDs are built into the system requiring a complete disassembly). They slide out once you remove the screws with little effort. The label you are looking for looks the same as your HD light on the system (the little cylinder).

Once you slide it out they usually have them sitting in a metal tray with 4 screws holding it in (remove them). There will be a small black adapter covering the pins at the end (this enables it to connect to the notebook MB) remove that as well. Don't pull it off from one side or you will bend the pins and that's bad. You will then attach the device to the pins and your tower (be sure to turn off AND unplug the tower). Once it?s in first check in the BIOS before you fully boot the system to see if the HD is detected. If not you may need a jumper OR you may have put the adapter on backwards (trust me, it?s is completely possible). This will not damage the drive, but it can be frustrating if your system won't boot due to two conflicting masters or a backwards connector.

If you find you need a jumper, ask a local computer store for either ones for notebook hard drives or ones for SCISI drives (technically the same size). Desktop ones are TOO big. I know for a FACT that Hitachi drives need them to change them from master to a slave drive (I was working on one last night). They should be VERY cheep or free depending on the place you go.

Once you?re hooked up properly and in Windows you should be able to see the drive and take the files you need. Feel free to ask me any other questions and good luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!