Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

laptop Parts

Dec 10, 2008 12:33AM PST

I am trying to build a laptop but I hear it pretty hard to find good laptop parts so anyone with anything that can help it would be appreciated. Websites with parts or store locations all welcomed thanks...

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Let's try to dissuade you.
Dec 10, 2008 2:25AM PST

Tell us about your past of building desktops. What you need to know is that laptops are very different. No standards as to motherboard factors and more.

Tell us why you want to build your own laptop.

As to parts, parts are all over the place. Just one thing. They don't fit together like desktops do.
Bob

- Collapse -
laptop parts
Dec 10, 2008 2:37AM PST

Well I don't have much experince but I do learn quickly . I wantto build a laptop because I need something I can take with me if left in my house it won't last day. As for fitting how do I decide what parts shoukd I get what parts are a top priority when deciding on spacing

- Collapse -
So you now know.
Dec 10, 2008 3:06AM PST

There is no standard in laptop parts and you can't build a laptop from a dozen different makers like a desktop.

This project is a dead end so why not go buy a laptop?
Bob