Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Overheating

by thebawstonian / December 9, 2004 3:18 AM PST

Hey Everyone-
My Gateway laptop gets ridiculously hot, so I am going to invest in a laptop cooler. I came across two different types of coolers.
The Vantec LapCool 2
http://www.vantecusa.com/p_lpc305.html

and the Bytecc Heat-pipe Cooler
http://www.byteccusa.com/product/cooler/TDD-3000.htm

Now noise if a big factor, which is why I thought the Bytecc one was great...requires no electricity and is noiseless. My only concern is if it works or not...I've read a couple reviews on the Vantec one, which all seem to be good, but can't find anything on the Bytecc one. Has anyone had experience with a heat-pipe cooler, and does it actually work?
Thanks--->>Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Overheating
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Overheating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Laptop Overheating
by KenSanramon / December 9, 2004 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop Overheating

Some people have been able to open their notebooks and flush out the heatsink to make it cooler again.

Even using a non-powered device to lift the bottom of the notebook for more airflow to the vents (like the Targus Podium Coolpad) helps. See www.Targus.com

The 2nd solution works similar to the Targus but it is using power to generate even more airflow. Note that Targus has a coolpad with fans also that runs off of USB.

I don't know the pricing of what you are looking at but the Targus solutions (and Target and Office Depot, etc sale many of them retail) are in the 19.99-29.99 range.

Collapse -
by thebawstonian / December 9, 2004 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Laptop Overheating

Thanks for the info, Ken. I'll definitely look into this.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / December 9, 2004 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Laptop Overheating

I don't have a heat issue with the Compaq X1000 Pentium M Centrino I have (the fan doesn't even run at all in normal operation) but I still use a Targus Podium Coolpad. Why? It guarantees enough air is getting to the vents underneath, it gives a natural typing position like a desktop keyboard as the Targus Coolpad elevates the rear up to 2" (3 settings). Finally, it can swivel in any direction (base is in two parts connected by pins so you can easily rotate the notebook as desired) and it protects the notebook if you spill liquid underneath it (not directly from overhead into the keyboard of course).

The USB model with the fans would cool even more but that uses battery life and I don't need that level of protection but you might want this given the fact you must have a Pentium 4M cpu.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.