Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop or Notebook please help me

I am not to bad with my desktop computer but now we are going to be on the road a lot I would really love to be able to use the internet while away. The trouble is I am not tech friendly and everyone I ask say get a laptop and then others say no a notebook would be easier for you.
I want to be able to do some shopping and come here plus do my banking and the dreaded ebay plus I would like to watch DVD's if possible.

What worries me mostly is how easy can I get on the net and will it give me massive charges which I can't afford

Please help me you wonderful lot and also what is the difference between a laptop and a notebook (some people said get a mac ibook whatever that is )

Thanks Jean xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop or Notebook please help me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop or Notebook please help me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many just use hotspots.

In reply to: Laptop or Notebook please help me

My dad has been pleasantly surprised at the number of hotspots he can use around town. He now takes his laptop out more often.

While not assured that you will find such, it beats that other solution is for price.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob thanks for your reply but

In reply to: Many just use hotspots.

how did your Dad get his to go wireless . Did he make his home computer wireless first or did he just load the wireeless cd into the lappie ??????? I tried that but it wants a telephone line so i must still be going wrong boohoo. I am hoping linkit seees my please again xxxxx

Collapse -
Most of today's laptop's have wifi.

In reply to: Bob thanks for your reply but

He did nothing to make it work. Just turned the laptop on...

Bob

Collapse -
Isn't it so crazy

In reply to: Most of today's laptop's have wifi.

I turned mine on a million times but when it searches for wireless it comes up nothing so thats when someone told me I had to have a wireless router !!!!!!!!!!!! Did dad have to connect it to anything or something cos this just isn't making sense. I got it for Christmas and still can't work it boo hoo xxxxxxxx

Collapse -
laptop = notebook (same thing)

In reply to: Laptop or Notebook please help me

The terms "laptop" and "notebook" are used interchangeably.

Shopping, banking, eBay, and watching DVD's are no problem for any of today's notebooks. Just make sure the notebook has a DVD drive (almost all do today).

An iBook is a notebook computer that runs Apple's Macintosh operating system. It is the popular alternative to Microsoft Windows. Many recommend these for ease of use for newbies and easier audio and video creation. If you are already comfortable with Windows computers, then "ease of use" may not be an issue.

Google: free hotspots
Many of those links will tell you where to find free Internet access in your area.

Do you have a budget for the notebook yet?

Collapse -
I got the notebook BUT

In reply to: laptop = notebook (same thing)

after two weeks of trying to get online with it someone told me I need a wireless router so now I have that but oh nooooooooooo it wants a telephone line and I just don't understand it all.

Sorry sorry sorry to be such a pest but i feel like I am going mad with worry after spending all that money for the notebook (

Collapse -
There is no free internet service

In reply to: I got the notebook BUT

The bottom line is that someone needs to pay an Internet service provider (ISP) for Internet service. Either you pay for it, or the provider (cafe, hotel, etc.) of the free wifi hotspot pays for it.

Typical home setup:

1. You subscribe to broadband internet service (DSL, cable, FiOS, satellite, etc.).
2. ISP gives you a broadband modem.
3. You connect your wireless router to the broadband modem.
4. You connect all computers to the wireless router.

Internet --- broadband modem --- wireless router --- computers

Collapse -
linkit thankssssssss but

In reply to: There is no free internet service

so do I put the cd into my desktop first and go through the motions and then afterwards do I do it on my notebook ????????? I did try all of this but it said it cannot find my modern. I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall. When I bought it in pc world they said oh you just start it up and don't need anything and only after two weeks did I find out I had to have this router thingie. I just wanted to be able to contact my bank and do some shopping etc etc when I leave here for my life on the road teehee It is just so complicated but I am so grateful that you are trying to help xxxxxx

Collapse -
If you could...

In reply to: linkit thankssssssss but

give us some details about the laptop you have and are trying to get wifi working on? My HP dv4000 laptop has wireless built into it and while at home I do use a wireless router for it, this is just for convenience while at times I have connected at hot spots. Generally you do need to have an account through some company to let you use their wifi.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
A little more clarification

In reply to: linkit thankssssssss but

As jbking2 stated, please tell us more about your computer.

Computer make & model
Name of wireless network adapter
Name of your ISP (also, did they give you a broadband modem?)
Make & model of your broadband modem
Make & model of your wireless router

When I am on the road, all I need to connect to the Internet is a place that offers free wireless internet service. Around where I live, I can just go to a Panera Bread or Starbucks with my notebook computer. My notebook computer has a wireless-g network adapter. That's all I need; I don't need a router or broadband modem.

At home, I pay a monthly fee for broadband Internet service (cable Internet service from Comcast). Comcast gave me one of their broadband modems, and I purchased a Linksys wireless-g router. The wireless router allows up to four computers to make wired connections and multiple wireless connections to it. Because the wireless router is connected to the broadband modem, all computers connected to the wireless router are able to share the Internet service I purchased from Comcast.

Note that some ISP's will give you a broadband modem that has a built-in wireless router. In that case, you don't need a separate wireless router.

Also note that a 56K dial-up modem is not the same as a broadband modem.

Collapse -
my god you are all just so wonderful

In reply to: A little more clarification

First can I say a massive THANKS EVERYBODY and oh wow I have connected and I am sooooooooooooooooooo happy but shaking like a leaf hehehe. Although I am now on the internet I can't seem to be able to go to any sites although it will take me to microsoft it won't let me go to any shops or my bank or anywhere so it has picked up my desk top.

Linkit I have broadband gold on my desktop and I have the aol netgear router so can you help me again and say why can't I go to any sites . I am over the moon to at least be online and honest to god thank god I have cnet cos I would never have found you all THANKS WITH ALL OF MY HEART XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Collapse -
getting closer, but still not sure of your status

In reply to: my god you are all just so wonderful

So, does that mean you already subscribe to AOL broadband gold and you pay a monthly fee for that service? Or do you just own a free AOL email account? (Note that the free AOL email account does not give you Internet service.)

Did the Netgear router come from AOL?

You say that you are on the internet, but you can't go to any sites. That doesn't tell me that you have successfully accessed the Internet. What sites are you able to access? Google.com? CNet.com?

Collapse -
you are amazing linkit thanks

In reply to: getting closer, but still not sure of your status

Yes I am with aol broadband gold on the desktop and the netgear router did come from aol but I have been with them 4 years now.

I know I am online because the little light tells me I am and if I hover on it the bubble says I am too but I click on internet explorer to go places and it just comes up not found as does anything else I try and get.

Linkit I know you are sorting me out so fabulous but does this mean I can't use my notebook unless I have access to electricity because when I unplugged the router it cut off then ???????? xxxxx

Collapse -
its 4 am sob sob

In reply to: you are amazing linkit thanks

and I thought I was online but I am notttttttttttt although I do have networking . I must get some sleep but pleaseeeeeeeeeee still try and help me okay xxxxx

Collapse -
Follow the instructions from AOL

In reply to: you are amazing linkit thanks

Sounds like you are on the right track. Your computer may have successfully connected to your router, and that would be indicated by a "connected" message by holding your mouse pointer over the network connection in your taskbar. This doesn't mean that your router has successfully connected to your broadband modem and the Internet.

The next step is to make sure your router is configured to communicate properly with your broadband (DSL?) modem. You should have received documentation from AOL on how to do this--either papers or a CD.

If you need more help, AOL should step you through this procedure at no extra cost since you are paying for their Internet service and it is their router. You also may find this info on the AOL website for your region of the world (UK?).

The following link does not necessarily apply to your region or specific setup, but here is a link for AOL Broadband Gold in the UK:
http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/faqHomeNetworking.adp?promo=228937&promoCode=228937

If you click the "What are the essential settings for connecting to AOL?" link on that page, you will see the types of things that may need to be set in your wireless router. Bottom line: just follow the setup directions that AOL provided when you received your router.

Collapse -
just for interest

In reply to: Follow the instructions from AOL

surely people buy wireless notebooks who don't have a desk top ???????

I wouldn't mind getting another ISP if it meant I could use my notebook. Time is running out for me I fear I will never get it working and their phone lines are so expensive.

Collapse -
I am delighted to tell you

In reply to: Follow the instructions from AOL

that I am actually typing this from my notebook so a massive thanks to you all for your wonderful help and patience with helping me. Wow I am over the moon and it was just such a stupid mistake on my part that was corrected in seconds after three weeks of hell THANKS LINKIT AND EVERYONE XXXXXXX

Collapse -
Good job!

In reply to: I am delighted to tell you

Glad you got it working.

Sometimes the simple things stump even the seasoned professional. If you recall what the correction was, I am interested in knowing and it may help others.

Once again, congratulations!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.