Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Laptop or notebook?

by ripit868 / May 16, 2008 12:00 PM PDT

Need some help, new electrical eng. student needs suggestions on which to buy. Laptop or notebook, which brand and if possible what requirements for each. Will have access to desktop so unit will not be only source.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop or notebook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop or notebook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My Opinion,,If You Don't Need Mobility, Get a Desktop..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 16, 2008 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop or notebook?

They're cheaper, last longer, bigger screens, upgradeable, etc.. On the other hand, if you need the machine to be mobile, then you choose the other option you've suggested.

As to the requirements of the computer, you've given us no information about what types of things you'll be doing.. Think about operating system first.. Will Vista suite you?.... because most brand name computers are commonly found with Vista installed these days. (If you check for HP and Dell business computers, you may still find XP.) Or you can contact a custom shop in your area.. See what they offer.

Processor speed and amount of RAM is much dependent on the operating system you select.. 1 GB of RAM is sufficient for everyday uses on an XP machine but twice that much is best for Vista..

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Which to buy
by Phil Crase / May 17, 2008 1:46 AM PDT

Well for an engineering student it would be nice to have mobility so I would suggest a decent laptop. Something running a dual core processor with 2GB of ram or more and a fair sized hard drive, 160GB or better. Personally I prefer the INTEL processor some will argue that. I like the 17 inch units because of the added 10 key, which would be handy for an engineering type, just makes life easier. There are lots of decent laptops on the market and if you check the major tech stores you can find some really good deals on some pretty good equipment. Good luck!!!!

Collapse -
I am confused...
by glenn30 / May 17, 2008 2:02 AM PDT

To me laptop and notebook is one and the same... different names from different vendors. I'm with Grif, if you do not need portability then I would go for a desktop for the reasons he gave.

Glenn

Collapse -
laptop/notebook
by pc_tech2008 / May 18, 2008 1:13 AM PDT

I have noticed that over the past 2 years there have been many laptop sometimes people calls it notebook computers battery is being recalled before you buy a laptop or notebook it is best to check
www.cpsc.gov and search by subject.

I have seen there recall for hp printer printer cable, notebook/laptop battery.

good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!