Laptops forum

General discussion

laptop offer

by brooklyn354 / March 28, 2006 12:49 AM PST

i recently went on ebay and started a bidding war on the Dell Latitude C640 P4 1.8 30GB WI FI CDRW DVD laptop with xp installed. it says it comes right out of the box and has everything you need to get on line of course i have to but the router. it is refurbished. well that seemed like a good deal to me but the bidding went on 9into the 600.00s i stopped bidding at 620.00 and the other guy got it for 635.00

I then get an e-mail from the owner of the auction saying that his high winner backed out and since i'm the next bidder, he would offer it to me at a discount price of 270.00. I thought at first this was a scam, but all he wrote was for me to tell him what state i lived in and he would get back to me with the S&H total. I also went on ebay and next to my losing bid, there was a sign that says, ebayer has second chance offer on this item. My question is do I take this offer? the guy has a store on ebay and a great rating. are refurbished machines worth it even from a great ebayer like him? how are those laptops? is 270.00 a good deal, why would he offer it to me that cheap espescialy since my last bid was 620.00. is 620.00 worth it for that machine? and what is the going cost for a new one of that make and model. thanks i need help real fast because if it is a good offer and i should take it i need to let him know ASAP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop offer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop offer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usual scam is to do this and (more...)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: laptop offer

Then have you send the cash via Western Union.

It's a common scam so don't get caught up in it.

Bob

Collapse -
You have to ask yourself these questions
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 2:02 AM PST
In reply to: laptop offer

I think eBay is great. It's a wonderful idea and I wish I had thought of it. Anyone with small personal items for sale can now do this online with a fair degree of confidence. Buyers can browse through the site looking for their specific interests or just generally search, and buy anything with a fair degree of confidence.

However, there are some rogues out there, and thieves. So it's up to you to do as much as you can to stop yourself becoming the next victim. Perhaps if you asked these questions you may have a clearer picture;

1] If it sounds too good to be true, then that is ''probably'' the case.

2] Why is he offering it to you so cheap? How can he afford to sell mid to top range laptops for $400-500 below Dell's own retail price? You can visit www.dell.com and find out how much their Latitude computers retail for.

3] How come he is now selling for $270 when he had a successful bid for $635? Why has he not re-listed it?

4] Where do these ''right out of the box'' computers come from? Right out of the back of a truck?

5] How many more computers is he selling on eBay? Why sell them all on eBay? Because it is more difficult to track him down?

6] Does he have a business web site? It is not unknown for businesses to sell exclusively on eBay and a professional web site lends credibility to his credentials, especially if it has an address, (real address), telephone number, contact email, FAQ, Support, etc.

7] Where did he get the Windows XP from? That alone costs around $150 or more retail.

Cool Check his feedback. He may have a lot if he is a regular eBay trader. Do any of the comments look similar? Same words, similar phrases. It has been known for eBay sellers to compose their own feedback.

These are just some I would think of. But I know how tempting it is. You can just feel that this bargain is within your grasp.

So, I am not saying don't do it. That's your choice. I would just say to think carefully. If you miss this one, then why not shop around at online stores, like PCWorld, or Dell itself, places with reputations to maintain. There will be other chances.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
2nd chance laptop
by brooklyn354 / March 29, 2006 1:23 AM PST

hi, just an update to let you know what has happened with the dell 2nd chance laptop. when i got the e-mail from the guy who said his highest bidder backed out and i could have it for 270.00 of course i was happy, but then i did some investigating. i e-mailed back the person who offered it to me saying that im interesed and to e-mail me back, i gave him no information about me. then i called the number on the site where the computer was listed and got a recording, i left my phone number and the next morning he called me back and said that they are a reputable company(which they are i checked) and they would never send an email like that, and told me that this is a scam and they wouldn't offer that especially at that price on a personal e-mail but only through ebay. i thanked him for letting me know about this scam. then i sent an e-mail to the scammer letting him know, that i was on to him, also letting ebay know as well. no response from him. the only thing i dont understand is how the message after my loosing bid got put on my EBAY. the guy on the phone told me that maybe they did offer a 2nd chance but not at that price or through an e-mail. so thank god i didnt fall for this, like you said if its too good to be true... thanks for all your advice. but i still want to know if they are a good laptop since i never had one it is a DELL Latitude C640 P4 1.8 30gb WI/FI CD?RW DVD with xp installed? what are the best routers to buy? I need to take it with me to a hospital where my father is getting long term care, i would like to stay with him all day and do my work from a laptop, but cant afford a real expensive one, anyone have any suggestions about this one, or recommend one for me? one that is safe or what i need to buy to make it safe.?

Collapse -
You won't find me with a P4 laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2006 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: 2nd chance laptop

The stories just keep piling in about heat issues with the P4 based laptops. Mind you that we don't see that often with the Centrino, Turino and other mobile CPU based laptops. The P4 is a desktop CPU and even with care you read far too many that have issues in year 2 with heat.

Yes, a laptop cooling pad and yearly cleaning helps but most owners will not want to do that.

Bob

Collapse -
laptop
by brooklyn354 / March 30, 2006 12:59 AM PST

so can you suggest a mid price decent laptop. and a reasonable price. i really n4eed one but dont want to make a mistake thank you

Collapse -
Look up this model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2006 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: laptop

The Compaq v2570 was 899 when my neighbor picked up their second v2000 series. Very complete and if I compare it to what is on the used market, the used prices look far too high.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.