Computer Help forum

Question

Laptop not recognizing CD drive?

by msnewbie / March 2, 2014 5:28 AM PST

Dell ProBook 4530s running Windows7. When I am inserting a music CD the drive does not auto start any menu, nor is it recognized in Explore or My Computer. The CD does spin/whirr briefly, then goes quiet. My quest is to load these tunes into I-Tunes which I have been using successfully for some time now. I have burned CDs lately, but it's been a while since I uploaded.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop not recognizing CD drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop not recognizing CD drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: laptop not recognised
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 2, 2014 5:47 AM PST

Can be software, if you see an error (yellow exclamation mark) with the player in Device Manager. But a hardware issue is more likely. Then replace the drive or use an external drive.

If you still have warranty let Dell solve the hardware issue.

Kees

Collapse -
Using this good advice, yet not resolved.
by msnewbie / March 2, 2014 8:20 AM PST

I have the dreaded Yellow Exclamation next to MIKE-HP on the device menu. Found it to be the CD/DVD drive as suspected. Used the troubleshooter to" reinstall the driver", but I'm getting no driver found still. Troubleshooter was "unable to automatically fix" the problem. Left me with a RED X. I'm at a dead end?

Device is - hpBD MLT UJ240AF CD/DVD

Collapse -
Any details in Device Manager?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 3, 2014 4:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Great issue there?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2014 5:43 AM PST

Since there has NEVER been a driver update for the CD/DVD device in Windows, is this some joke played on everyone by Microsoft? Think about it (after you figure it out.) I've learned to wait on those that insist the message is correct and wait for them to hunt down that driver Microsoft sent them to look for.
Bob

Collapse -
Whatever
by msnewbie / March 3, 2014 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Great issue there?

I do realize you are the King of this site or something, but why are you usually so not helpful? This comes from experiences here over some time now. Just wondering. I don't see a mention of an "update" attempt that would warrant your reply. Maybe I'm misreading something here.

Collapse -
Maybe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2014 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: Whatever

I hope you figure out the bad joke by Microsoft fast. My comment is that the times are over that Microsoft would expect you to know that the error and the update button didn't mean what they coughed up.

My comment is not about you but as a comment about how many get lost looking for said driver.

It's my question to you. Do you feel Microsoft should get out of the 90's?
Bob

Collapse -
Point taken
by msnewbie / March 3, 2014 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe.

No problem. As we spoke I somehow got my laptop to recognize the CD device. Somewhere inside support.microsoft. Yeh, most of their messages didn't ring true! Thanks to all who replied

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.