Question

laptop not detecting external drives or blank disc

My dell laptop is not detecting external drives or blank disc. What could be going on ?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: laptop not detecting external drives or blank disc
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: laptop not detecting external drives or blank disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
The amount of information you did not tell us ...

speaks volumes.

This computer doesn't recognize a "blank disk" - does this mean a new hard drive that you haven't installed an OS on or by blank disk do you mean a blank CD or DVD?

Are the undetected external drives detected on other computers?

Strange but true, NONE of my old CP/M or DOS or Win 3.x or Win NT through NT4 detected external drives either unless the drives were SCSI and I had installed a SCSI host adapter in the PC. (HINT - the Operating System in use is important)

Assuming you are using Win 2000 Pro or newer for your OS what happens if you boot into a different user account?

- Collapse -
Answer
Not recognizing drive etc.

Need some more information, is this something that just happened? Were there any changes made to the system? If a recent issue did you try to restore the system to an earlier date? Again, more information might help.

- Collapse -
not recognizing drive

This just happened out of the blue...but I'll try to restore to an earlier ate t see what happens.

CNET Forums