Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop newbie...Suggestions Needed!

by dlvansc / May 27, 2010 11:12 PM PDT

Hi Everyone,

I have a very old Dell Desktop that is on its way out (and has been for some time now). I want to purchase a laptop but I'm not exactly sure what to purchase so I'm not purchasing more than I need in terms of features or vice versa. Here is what I will want to do:

* Surf the web - check emails, websites, etc. (and not have to wait forever for a site to upload, even with other programs open and running - like itunes, picture editing program, etc)
* Download and burn music to disc
* Upload and store personal pictures/videos
* Watch DVD's or online tv shows and connect to my TV while doing so (Yes, my TV is HDMI)
* Wirelessly connect no matter where I take it
* A screen size of around 15" - no smaller but also something that's not too heavy

I would just like something basic that will be quick and easy to use. Speakers aren't essential, however I do listen to music frequently on the computer. I don't travel often...I would mostly be lounging on the couch or in bed with the computer, so I do not want something super heavy. Of course, I also don't want to spend a fortune...more than $600 maybe?

Any feedback/advice would be very helpful! I've been told that Toshiba is the way to go, but I've had very good experience with Dells over the years (the computer I have now is 6 years old).

I appreciate everyone for listening!

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop newbie...Suggestions Needed!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop newbie...Suggestions Needed!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Top of this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2010 11:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
laptop suggestion
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / May 28, 2010 1:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
I think
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2010 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop suggestion

The laptop scout is at the link I supplied. You may want to check that out.
Bob

Collapse -
To morkel: post deleted
by Kees Bakker / May 28, 2010 5:23 PM PDT

Sorry, but links from new members to a site where you can buy something are routinely treated as an ad. And those aren't allowed. That's why I deleted you post.

It won't harm to try another skin for your new laptop if you need that (as you say). Be sure it's for the right OS, that's the only point that matters.
All that can happen: it doesn't work, it's a malicious site and you don't get your money back. Or they use their site as a vehicle to get your creditcard details and start robbing you.
So google a little bit with the site name to see if you find many negative reports about that.

Let me ask the members here: does anybody have experiences with decalskin?

Kees

Collapse -
Laptop newbie...too
by margre / June 3, 2010 3:08 AM PDT

I am in need of the same advice and the same requirements as Laptop Newbie, as well as:
1. Gaming capability to run many of the games currently sold
2. Hook up to a flat screen tv, 2-3 USB ports and external storage capability
3. Run MS Excel and Word 2007, Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0, Quickbooks
4. Remote into my office computer with ease.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
Marissa

Collapse -
laptop suggestion
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / June 3, 2010 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop newbie...too

Hi Marissa,

You should check out the Sony Vaio E Series. It has similar specs to the Dell and you can upgrade to get a graphics card for gaming and your other more advanced programs (ATI Mobility Radeon? HD 5470 Graphics).

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Laptop Newbies...too
by margre / June 3, 2010 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop suggestion

Thanks, Isabella. Since I REALLY don't want to pay a lot for a laptop just to have a really good graphics card, it makes sense just to purchase what I need and upgrade the graphics card. Good idea!

Marissa

Collapse -
you're welcome
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / June 3, 2010 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Newbies...too
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!